Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Chorus Line

Just got back to Queens after work when I got a message from a former roomy. He had an extra FREE ticket to "A Chorus Line" and wondered if I was available to go.

As luck would have it - I was! :) So I headed back into the city to finally see this well known Broadway standard.

Although I knew some of the songs and had heard about the gold outfits at the end I really wasn't sure what to expect of the show.

The first surprise was its length - compared to most Broadway shows it is bite-size with no intermission. The production value was relatively simple and at times I thought that the Omaha Playhouse could put on a production just as good if not better than the one I was seeing.

The 2nd surprise was to discover that the famous song "What I did for Love" isn't a song about love lost per say. It is about their love for dance. I wondered aloud why I had thought differently and my friend told me that the movie version (which I think I might have seen parts of on TV a LONG time ago...) actually did portray it as more of a "true" love song.

Having been a dresser I was curious to know what steps they must take to make the quick change into their gold outfit @ the end. No changes occur until that moment and then I'm sure it is just utter (organized) chaos back stage!

Am I glad I saw it? Yes! Am I glad it was free? Yes! Would I recommend it? Well...according to my friend if you are choosing between the show and the movie. You should watch the show. If you strive to be a well-rounded Broadway show viewer this is a standard that you should see @ some point. It does provide an enjoyable night of theatre - But try to get a cheap ticket. ;)

PS - I now see that Mario Lopez is going to join the cast. And I'm not totally sure he's right for the role he's been cast in, so if you're going to see it....see it before or after his run. Unless, you don't mind and just want to see AC Slater dance around for a bit. ;)

No comments: