Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Random Act

After meeting friends @ Barnes & Noble over my lunch I decided to wander over to the CDs/DVDs. While checking out what all television shows are deemed boxset worthy, a guy about my age came up to me.

"Excuse Me." He said with a European accent.

I looked up, ready for a pitch or something in general not good. Because this is what New York has done to me - if a stranger approaches you, more often than not it won't be good.

"Yeah." I said, laced with attitude.

"Oh, well I don't...I just wanted to wish you a nice day."

"Oh!" Then of course I felt bad...but flickered on the thought that it may be a bait and switch.

He told me that he had just gotten to NYC and I said that was exciting. I asked if he had just moved or was visiting. He told me he'd be in the city for 6 more days and he was seeing all the sites - then made a joke about how great the B&N was. I suggested the sites around Rockefeller and then he said he should have been writing them down, that I was very nice and once again wished me a nice day.

Then he walked away.

The experience certainly was a head tilter. I wonder if he was just wandering the city doing that to others, too.

Curious, indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He thought you were hot Nora, duh!

Anonymous said...

I think he was either a) a writer or someone putting together a piece of the "niceness" of random people... and you passed with flying colors! Or b) he was really just a nice guy, seeing the sites and meeting the people... perhaps you changed his whole perception of American people, Nora!