Wednesday, January 16, 2008

BonFrieg!

Opening night of the LIC One Act festival was technically a couple days ago, but since we didn't have a preview night our director decided to call our first night preview and tonight opening! :) This of course meant that we were a lot better on faux opening night than the real one! ;)

A quick summary of the one act, BonFrieg! (Bon-Freeg) - It was about a down on his luck detective who hasn't had a case since his now wife walked into his office 5 years ago as a client. While he sits on the couch and polishes his pistol, she is an enterprising reporter who likes her evening cocktails. In that 5 years they had a child who has a French Imaginary Friend named BonFrieg. My character, "Maybe", is a client that suddenly appears with a case for the detective. (A Malevolent Maniac is following her but no one else seems to notice.) The question is- is Maybe real? Is BonFrieg? And is BonFrieg just a poor put upon fake French friend w/a constant craving for cookies or something more maniacal?! Hmmmm.....

Inspiration for my costume was the noir 40s look with a bit of quirk. I only made up one eye with a false eyelash, eyeliner & eyeshadow, wore 1 glove and 1 earring. Searched on the net for a place to purchase a snood but found only ones that were WAY out of my price range so I settled on a 40s style headband (one side had beads and feathers on it with netting) I found at Forever 21 combined with black clips and a hairnet. TaDa! (Trivia - While I searched for snoods I found out that they came back into fashion in the 40s because of the women wearing them in Gone With The Wind - the style translated into modern day. Go figure.)

I finally got to see the rest of the shows at dress rehearsal and breathed a sigh of relief as it is a solid show so those that might come and see me should enjoy their night even if I'm not on stage. Har.

The group is really talented and I'm most impressed with the character change one actress in our show has to go thru for another one act she's in. She plays a 5 year old boy in our show and has to switch to a put upon daughter who's dealing with her Alzheimer's inflicted father and attempting to have him understand that she's putting him in a home. (Meredith Grey inspired but a tad more put together.)

The downer part of going first is that I have to sit in my costume for the rest of the show so I can take a bow @ the end. But the main thing is that I'm in a show right? So I think I deal with it. ;)

No comments: