Sunday, January 20, 2008

The trip continues....

It was much colder today than yesterday so our plan to stop for hot chocolate-related beverages @ LA Burdicks was a wise one!

The dark chocolate mocha hit the spot but apparently having the caffeine in it made it a little more tolerable as my friend's dark chocolate was good but just too much of a good thing. We quickly understood why they have a tiny size option for their hot chocolates.

By day 2, I was somewhat beginning to understand the Boston's mass transit system. In theory it is simpler than NYC's subways but I was glad I had my friend along to guide me thru it!

Headed over to the University of Boston Campus so I could get gear and a pic or two to share with a friend of mine who is attending the college online. The campus B&N wasn't quite open yet when we arrived so we killed time and warmed up @ the 7/11 across the way. In honor of my visit I bought a Boston Cream Pie Donut. I don't even remember the last time I had a donut - so it was certainly tasty! :)

From the BU campus to the Science Museum. We took in an Omni IMAX show, Mummies: Secrets of the Pharoahs, in addition to viewing the museum. Unfortunately my tiredness caught up with me and it was a struggle to keep my eyes open and appreciate the Mummy show - oops. From what I saw it was cool though! ;)

LOTS of stuff to see @ the museum. If I was a kid I think I'd be on overload for sure - was pretty much on overload as an adult! A T-Rex greeted you on your way into the museum and another life size T-Rex stood in the museum - ironically the one on the inside had a scarf! Lots of hands-on exhibits - it kind of reminded me of the science museum in L.A. except there was more! The museum also gave a great view of the sun setting down on Boston (right) and Cambridge (left).

We wound our way back towards Faneuil Hall and stopped in at Hard Rock for drinks & appetizers and to see the end of the Pats game (when in Rome...). Behind the bar there was a huge gong that was signed by the members of Aerosmith, except there seemed to be more signatures than members. I asked about it and the bartender told me no one could sign it except members of Aerosmith - ohkay.? When a birthday was announced the gong would be struck.

I totally failed to make the connection of Aerosmith and Boston until I saw that gong. Next time I visit I'll have to look up some Aerosmith related locales that they mention in their autobio. :)

We took it easy @ Hard Rock because our main dinner destination was Lucca. It's a very nice Italian restaurant that my friend discovered and actually made friends at so I guess you could call it her hangout. :)

Afterwards we crossed the street to get some fresh Boston Pastries (I picked Florentines) at Modern Pastry (we learned that the well known Mike's Pastry aren't made fresh daily but rather thawed daily - it's good to get intel from the locals!) On our way back to the T, I spotted another bakery called Lulu's. It was nothing like Lulu's in "The Waitress" but I still felt obligated to buy a cupcake!

We got back to my friend's house a little early but that was okay - I wrote out postcards and she checked her emails while we both watched the premiere of Breaking Bad. Bryan Cranston is a very talented actor. Most know him as Malcolm's Dad but I remember him from X-files, too. He can run the gamut as an actor and is lucky he's been cast in roles that show it! Will be interesting to see if Breaking Bad catches on or not. Since it is on cable, that is probably the only ep. I'll see. It's an interesting concept but a show that I'd probably have to see a couple more eps of before making a yes or no opinion so basically I'm saying I liked it enough to watch again but don't know if I'd call it appt. television.

No comments: