Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Moving Day - but still in Astoria!

My goal was to get up by 10am to start moving - I think I got up somewhere between 11 & noon....besides having been up late, I could hear that it was raining but thankfully it finally tapered off about noon. Since my new digs are within walking distance, my original thought was that I'd borrow carts and just walk most of it over and do it in parts - then rent some kind of vehicle if I absolutely had to. My new roommate would be out of town for a few weeks so I could move in slowly with no problems.

However, my current roommate thought that was silly and offered to split the cost on a rental so we could get the move done in one day.

So, that's what I did!

Got a ride to the airport Enterprise (only the airport rental places were open so they only pick up those coming off the plane with their shuttles - no pickup services for locals) and was told by the driver that rain on the first day of the year was good luck - I'll buy that. I also noticed that everyone I ran into was full of "Happy New Year!" greetings. I guess I never noticed that as much in NE.

Once I got to Enterprise I got to pick which vehicle I wanted and settled on a black KIA Sedona (Sadie - as my roommate called it) that had very few miles on it and and a windshield wiper controller where I'm used to a gearshift being! Needless to say it took me a bit to figure out what buttons and functions were where - I managed to roll down ALL my windows and then couldn't figure out how to get them up again! (Later my roommate figured out that I had managed to push the safety lock button, thus rendering the other window controls useless. Ahh....) And of course, since I was in a vehicle, the one way streets that I typically pay no mind to as a pedestrian I had to keep a keen eye out for! Keep in mind...I hadn't been behind a wheel since September, too. It was a bit weird. That all being said though - the Sedona was a nice ride for our purposes.

It took 2 trips to get everything over (didn't work as hard to do the "tetris" thing as I did for my initial BIG move) and about 2 hours. We had talked about using the rental to go to other places but by the time we were done we were done. So I returned the vehicle and several of the Enterprise workers asked me - Weren't you just here? I'd only put 8 miles on it - but man, I totally recommend using a rental car over a moving van any day if you can afford it.

Once I got back, my roomie and I had supper, I returned the unused carts that I borrowed from another friend of mine, turned in my keys and officially said goodbye to the place I'd lived in since I moved here.

Now to the new digs for an unpacking extravaganza! Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reason you have never noticed the "Happy New Year" greetings in NE is because it is just another year in Ne.