Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More Memorizing!

I got called into an audition for a regional theatre in which I (once again) had to memorize monologues in advance. This time it was for characters from The Glass Menagerie and Almost, Maine.

When I got to the location it was a suite they had rented out! Very nice! And since I had an appt - there was no line of actors to wait on and they actually recognized me from my headshot! Woot! :)

So I performed the 2 monologues plus 1 more monologue of anything as long as it wasn't like the characters I read for (fortunately I already had a monologue memorized that fit that description!)

When I was done I couldn't tell from the 3 faces looking at me if I had done good or bad. I asked about callbacks and they said there wouldn't be any as they were going to a regional cattlecall event (my words, not there's - there are conferences actors can go to where lots of theatres show up and potentially find their casts for the season) and then make their decision after that.

I left and a panic washed over me as it sunk in that I really should have followed advice that has been given to me on more than one occasion - read the script your monologue came from. I began to wonder if the way I performed the monologues were even appropriate for that character in that moment in the play. (Yes, that's right...I have not read The Glass Menagerie.) Honestly, I didn't have time to read thru them though - I need to look into SparkNotes for Plays! ;)

Tonight I had an audition at a Children's Theatre in town in which, once again, I had to memorize a monologue. I got there and started to look over their rehearsal schedule and saw that it was going to conflict w/ the show I'm in. Do I still audition?! I was told I could...if I wanted...so at least they would have seen me....I opted to just try it another time and not stick around. Save everyone time and I wasn't wholly confident I had my monologue down anyway. It would have been a possible in-road to a paid gig but as I was looking at the pics of previous casts on the walls, I'm not sure I would have fit the "type" they'd cast before. Perhaps another time, I will find out for sure...

No comments: