Thursday, February 7, 2008

$5 Entertainment @ UCBT

When I first moved here I was told by the actor that made "Bert" to sign up for classes @ the Upright Citizens Brigade because even if I didn't need help w/ improv it was the up and coming place to network.

Well...I did look into classes there but since it took me over a month to find a job, classes were quickly bumped to the bottom of my list as far as priority expenses...

Needless to say, I've yet to get signed up or even visit the place until tonight. The UCBT was hosting a handful of nights promoting the new book - Things I Learned from Women Who Dumped Me by Ben Karlin.

Originally I had wanted to see the night w/ David Wain but it was already sold out by the time I discovered it - Doh! So...I opted for a couple other guys ( A.J. Jacobs & Sam Lipsyte) that I wasn't as familiar with in hopes that the special surprise guest that night might be worth seeing, too. The host for the evening was Kristen Schaal - who is the lone fan on Flight of Conchords.

It was only $5 for an evening of entertainment so I figured even if the night wasn't smashing I really wasn't out much - and I will have finally been INSIDE the UCBT! The goofy thing about this event (and maybe all their events?) Is that even if you buy a ticket in advance you have to stand in a line outside. Then they let you inside to claim your ticket and then you get to stand in line again outside. Fortunately, it wasn't too horribly cold out!

When we finally got in...we were led to the basement of the building. Seats surrounded 3 sides of the stage. It was mostly open seating but with support columns and camera men (yes, it was being filmed) here and there you had to decide what part of the stage you were okay w/ being obscured.

The space has been well loved. For all the buzz about the UBCT you might expect it to be a little more polished & shiny but perhaps it's worn seats w/ barely any padding and the general feel of being in a basement of a house some college kids were renting is part of the charm? Once again...for $5 though, a person has no room to complain...

Oh! And did I mention that the guest band was "Fountains of Wayne"?! When Kristen came out she had a faux bone to pick w/ them - as apparently she used to be a member before they got all successful. Everyone's intro was sang by "Fountains of Wayne" and the band let Kristen sing along, too - they were trying not to laugh.

Kristen also shared her own personally traumatic experiences w/ dating past. For one story she used a cooking pot, lid and wooden spoon to act it out. Ya kinda had to be there! ;)

At the end of the night (well, actually an hour after it started...) the special guest came out and it was singer, Nellie McKay! I wasn't totally familiar w/ her but enjoyed her mix of tunes and lyrics. She had a rather retro Nancy Sinatra look going, too...

No comments: