Sunday, February 10, 2008

Applause! Applause!

When I first moved here I read Lauren Bacall's Bio, By Myself and the last part of the book talks about her prep, experience and performance in Applause! (A musical inspired by All About Eve.)

After reading the book, I discovered that I actually had a playbill from that show! (My dad had got a small box of old playbills for me @ an auction a while back and they made the move w/ me.)

Needless to say, I was curious about the show and then it was announced that Christine Ebersole was going to be doing staged concert performances of it @ the New York City Center as part of its Encores! Series.

When I arrived to claim my ticket, the guy @ the booth asked - You're not related to the Pennsylvania Vetters, are ya? Um...no.

I climbed to my seat and found out that those in the nosebleed section apparently didn't rate a "regular" program. We just got a very basic one-sheet print out. Audience members rumbled about it around me, muttering about a class-system. I know we didn't pay as much for our tickets but still...we did PAY! The theatre wasn't even sold out either...

The pic was my original view of the stage. During intermission I moved down but then ended up having an obstructed view and sitting by a couple from Europe (I couldn't place the accent...) that moved down too but wouldn't stay put as they kept taking turns leaving and coming back - it appeared cell phone related.

Needless to say, what I did see of the show was fun and well performed considering the time frame they have to prep for these staged events (see link connected to "staged concert" above) And Erin Davie is really one lucky duck as she continues to get to ride a wave alongside Christine (they were both in Grey Gardens, too.) Of course seeing the show made me feel even more out of it for STILL never having seen All About Eve. I know, I know...I need to get on that....

As I watched, it made me even more curious to see how Lauren would have played the character. And I also wondered if she every came to one of the performances @ the NYCC...

After the show, I was hoping to sneak down and snag a true program to match the one I had but no dice. The ushers made sure we were headed out and not in... :( *sigh*

No comments: