Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Journey to S.I. and back

Spent all last night cramming the monologue into my head for the audition tonight. Skipped lunch today so I could get off an hour early and at 4:30pm, I booked it to the subway.

Things looked good as I finally arrived @ the S.I. stop - was dodging & weaving around people trying to get to a Ferry Gate and then hit a roadblock when I came to stairs. No way to get around people, I was just stuck at whatever pace they were going. I checked my watch - I still had a few minutes til 5pm. I finally got up the stairs and saw others running so I started to run too and then a guy stood at the entrance waving his hands to stop us. The clock flipped to 5:01pm. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! The next one didn't take off for another 20 minutes or so...

Got onto the next Ferry and the trip was agonizing, as much like the stairs, I could only go as fast as the Ferry. Finally got to the other side and had to wait on a bus and I was quickly running late for the start of the auditions. Boarded the bus and met 2 others that were headed to auditions so if I was late, at least they would be too! ;)

Once we got to our stop, it was a big mess to figure out where the building that had auditions was on the fairgrounds area we were instructed to go to. It didn't help that daylight was gone, either.

Fortunately we seemed to be finding our way as we found a gated entrance. We flagged down some cops who shrugged and said they didn't know that area well - eek! What if there was an emergency?! Then we flagged down another car w/ a single driver. He asked if we were actors and we said, yes. He said he thought the place was up ahead and kept driving. An actor in our group wondered out loud if the driver was an actor, too and we all hoped he wasn't, otherwise he should have given us a ride! (Or at least that would have been the decent thing to do...)

Finally find the place and the auditions had started and the driver gives us all a sheepish smile. Nice.

I had about 20 minutes before I had to turn around so I could catch the bus and then catch the Ferry in time for the concert - at this point I didn't care about the opening acts, I just didn't want to miss the Foos!

So I go up to the gal @ the sign-in and apologize for being late but told her that I was told to ask her to get me in as I was rushed for time. 2 people went in after my request and by the time she told me I was to be next, I had to go.

I left a note for the person that had called me back to audition and left only to run into that person while I was hurrying to a bus stop. She called me by name and I think she thought I'd actually been able to audition when I hadn't. I didn't have time to straighten it out and figured she'd see my note - I could also feel tears of frustration building so I just wanted to keep moving.

I made it to the bus stop and in a few minutes the bus came. I ran on only to be told to get off. What?! The bus was having mechanical issues and just quit running. Lovely - I could have stayed for the audition!!!! By this time it was getting COLD out and the bus driver told us we could wait on the bus for another bus to come by but if the next bus didn't see us out there it wouldn't stop. Nice.

So I stood outside and lamented on the phone and FINALLY the bus came and then the painfully slow trip back on the Ferry. Then the subway. Then the dodge and weave around human traffic to MSG and then...I made it!

Whew!

And even saw the last half of the 2nd opening act - Serj Tankian (I had to text my bro as I recognized his voice singing "the terra cotta pie" song in my bro's car but couldn't remember the band he fronted for - System of the Down.) He is quite the showman and says what he wants.

It was my first time in MSG and I'm not sure why, but I expected it to be more than it was. It's just a concert hall. But it's probably more about the history - right?

The Foos finally took the stage and 2 songs in, the middle-aged guys that were supposed to sit next to me finally decided to show up. Since the rest of the row had already spread out the guys hardly had a place to stand so that put me partially out in the aisle and getting bumped into by the up & downers. After another song or two, one of the guys decided he needed a beer - then of course he came back a few song later, but then had to leave again because he had to go to the bathroom. Gah!!!

I had to remind myself why I was there - I was there to enjoy the Foos, I'd actually made it there to see the Foos, so I needed to concentrate on that...

Dave Grohl was his usual quipping self and the band became more than 4 as they split time between the main stage (for rock) and a smaller stage that extended out in the center of the floor for acoustic. Dave used the walkway during his guitar solos and at one point started leaning towards the ground as he played. What is he doing?! Down the walkway was his daughter trying to crawl towards Daddy. Very cute - but I hope she had some earplugs!

It was nice to see Pat Smear w/ the group (I missed the acoustic tour he also joined back up w/ them on) and I was witness to potentially the 1st cowbell solo in MSG to which Taylor Hawkins commented, "If someone just came out of the restroom and heard that they were probably like, 'WTF'?!"

All too soon the concert was over but not really... The crowd clapped and hollered in rhythm to get them out for an encore and then all of a sudden the screens showed their set list from tonight's concert and then Dave's face appeared. No sound was heard as he gestured whether we wanted them back out for 1 song. The crowd cheered. 2 songs?! The cheers were louder. 3 songs? Then Taylor came on and held up 4 fingers and the crowd went crazy but then the camera went back to Dave and he held up 3 fingers again but then kept flicking up his fourth.

No matter what, they were headed out to play at least a few more songs!

Then, for real, it was over.

No comments: