Friday, August 3, 2007

The Ten w/ Marino, Wain and Sudeikis

Last week I got an email newsletter from the Sunshine Theatre that Michael Showalter was introducing "Wet Hot American Summer" for the midnight movie. I was tempted to go but decided to wait and save my movie money, keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps there would be special guests to introduce opening night of "The Ten" and then the email came....David Wain and Ken Marino were going to introduce "The Ten" opening night! Woo-Hoo!!!

Since the movie started at 8pm, that meant being there shortly after 7 to stand in line in order to have a decent place to sit and since you can never predict the timing of subways I knew I probably didn't have time to head home first and then go back - so while killing time I noticed a huge line forming in front of the Best Buy near where I work. Apparently, Common was going to be there to sign his new CD. Didn't actually see Common but the signs said as much...

Finally, I thought I'd killed enough time to hop on the subway and head towards the theater - I rose out of the underground and STILL had a sizable amount of time to kill - Whole Foods helped a bit with this and finally I just decided to head over. While doing so I was chatting with a friend from Cali on my cell and attempting to hover outside of the theater but the humidity finally won and I headed for air-conditioning in the lobby. I entered the theater, telling my friend about my plans this evening. Since not many of friends were familiar with "The State" or the actors I tried to be simplistic about my explanation so she kind of knew what I was doing - knowing that she is a Reno 911 fan I thought I'd start there and then worked to "The State" - and she HAD heard of it. Go figure, should have started there first - so the whole time I'm talking I'm not using their names I'm just saying "those people from" and probably sounding like an ill-informed idiot as I round the corner to the concessions and see David Wain sitting there posing for pics. Not sure if he heard me yammering or not but I quickly ended the phone call with my friend and tried to get out of the way of the picture taking.

After standing in line for a little less than an hour we were finally let into the theater and then a voice came over the speakers as David Wain introduced himself as he made his way down the theater stairs. Then he introduced Ken Marino who proceeded to run down the stairs, yelling "Woo!" like it was a starting lineup announcement at a game, giving audience members high fives, circling around and back up the other stairs and then back down the first set again. A surprise guest was SNL's Jason Sudeikis who is also in the movie. Wain said he did little skits on SNL and Sudeikis responded - They're called sketches. - jokingly.

They were open to some Q&A but for whatever reason there weren't a lot of questions being asked - I think many were like me and just wanted to listen to them do their thing.

They asked how many people saw "Wet Hot American Summer" 5 times. Then 15 - saying that they wanted honesty. Wain said that Roeper gave "WHAS" a thumbs down but gave "The Ten" a thumbs up - adding that "Roeper killed Gene Siskel ya know. Poor Gene Siskel."

Someone wanted to know if they were making a sequel to "The Ten" and they laughed saying various sequel titles like "The Ten 2" (which Sudeikis made into a driving joke) and Wain said their next movie would actually be titled "25 or 6 to 4".

Another asked about when "The State" was coming out on DVD. Wain explained to those that didn't know, that "The State" was a show they did back in the 90s on MTV, where Ken Marino used to dip his balls in things - at which point Marino held his pop cup down by his crotch. (The box set for "The State" is coming out October 10th.)

A shout came from the back as to whether there would be any prizes and Wain said, "Yes, you can get a postcard of "The Ten" that has been touched by the director." He then handed out some of the postcards he'd been holding onto. ;)

The movie started and it is one of those that I will need to see again just to catch all the little connections/references they made to other stories thru out. The cast is amazing! No, seriously...the characters they play may be goofy but you still have to have an appreciation for how all of them just went with it. Liev Schreiber, Oliver Platt, Winona Ryder (who is featured in "Thou Shall Not Steal") and others including the ENTIRE cast of The State. One member couldn't be there in person, so they made sure to include him via photo - a framed photo that a guy uses to cover his nakedness.

I would try to explain more about the movie, but it is just one of those movies you have to see to appreciate. Off the wall, goofy, yet truly a smart film with all its winks.

After the movie, Marino, Wain and Sudeikis were in the hallway as they were getting ready to introduce the next showing. I really wasn't sure what I'd say to any of them but felt like I couldn't let the opportunity go by to shake their hands at least - I'd think of something. Hopefully.

I started with Sudeikis (not that he's ugly on TV or anything but he is very attractive in person and has this great announcer's voice). I told him I liked him on SNL, but really enjoyed him when he was on 30 Rock. He told me I sounded like his parents. Oh. Awkward. So then, not really knowing how to respond to that I responded anyway and then it was this hanging convo that there really wasn't an ending to. I just started to move away to let others in and he said - "Nice talking to you." Ugh. Not only do I need to take a monologue class I need to take a "How to make small talk with celebs class." With any luck, they feel my pain of awkwardness trying to respond to a quite possibly over-smiling admirer. Will remember this when I get famous! ;) har.

I moved on to David Wain and he was telling those that liked it to tell their friends. I'm his friend on myspace and he always writes about how he'd like to meet all his myspace friends - so I told him I was one. And he gave me this look (maybe he remembered me from the lobby earlier) and said something like - "That's great. I've been looking at your profile and looks like you are doing well." Me and others around had a laugh and I was ready to head out - why couldn't I think of anything "cool" to say?!

On my way to the door I saw Ken Marino and he was saying how, yes, he was married and has a 6 month old. Then proceeded to pull out his cell and show everyone a pic. Cute. I told him I enjoyed the film and unlike Wain who was encouraging promotion, Marino said - "It's stupid. But if it made you laugh, that's good."

I had my camera with me but didn't see anyone else taking pics so decided against it. My encounters had been awkward enough!;)

And that was the evening. Go see "The Ten" - matinee is fine. And remember what Marino said - if you have no other expectation than to laugh, you'll enjoy it tremendously.

No comments: