Friday, August 24, 2007

Off to Omaha

Today I officially become a commuter as I split plans between Omaha and Lincoln. A friend I met while being a dresser during Lion King, runs her own business where she gives facials, waxes and the like. I made an appt. for a facial and then we made plans to have lunch afterwards.

During the Lion King run, one of our convos turned to cupcakes (we spent a lot of time with each other over that month...) and I told her about Cupcake Island. We even shared a cupcake from there with the traveling stagehand - complete with cupcake holder. Upon discovering Crumbs I made sure to bring back mini cupcakes to share with her and she told me that every time she goes to Cupcake Island she thinks of me...I guess there are worse things to be associated with! ;)

We had lunch at Kona Grill and then we split ways, leaving me to memorize lines and sip green tea at Paradise Bakery before my first rehearsal tonight. While I was memorizing, a middle-aged guy came up to me and asked me if it was a good book I was reading. Then he realized I wasn't reading a book and said - "Oh, you're studying - well, good luck!" Odd. It was time for me to find a new location.

Decided to stop at Target to get some tunes while I drove as the radio really wasn't doing it for me. Discovered the Spring Awakening Soundtrack on sale and got the Once Soundtrack, too. And in turn, those 2 soundtracks became my soundtrack for the trip.

Time for rehearsal! But first...here's the backstory...

During "You Can't Take It With You" I was approached by the Asst. Director to be a part of a short film he had written and planned on directing. Besides himself, it would also involve the stage manager and the guy that played my husband. Later I found out that the original script had 2 male leads but upon seeing how well me and my fake husband worked together he decided to rewrite it with a husband and wife as the leads with me in mind for the wife. I really liked the script but filming was initially scheduled in early June - after my move. I broke the news that I was moving but I could delay it by a few weeks. Due to another project they were working on though, they decided filming wouldn't start until August. Hmmm.... I told them to keep me posted and I'd see what I could do about possibly coming back. I had yet to find a job so figured it was better to go into a job with those dates rather than start a job and say, "Oh, by the way..." Thankfully I was let off for the time needed - mostly unpaid, but at least I had it off! :) Bonus came in the fact that an actor that I had wanted to work with in the Omaha community was cast as well.

Back to rehearsal.

Most of the filming would be done @ Omaha South. Some in the catacombs and some in a set the guys had built on stage. Their attention to detail on the set was great! I was truly amazed with all the work that was put into it already and felt bad that I wasn't around to help.

For all the time I'd spent on lines I was grateful to be able to hold it in my hands still as I learned blocking in the catacombs. And in all my enthusiasm to FINALLY be there actually starting the process of making the short film after talking about it for what seemed liked forever, I was a tad giggly, too. ;) It was just good to be back and working with these guys again. And it was just plain good to be acting!

No comments: