Monday, August 27, 2007

Lincoln, Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue, Lincoln

I'll admit it. Today was not well planned as far as commuting goes. The gas prices are killing me! But gots to get stuff done, so what's a person to do?

Back on the road to Omaha to meet up with former co-workers from AP @ Jason's Deli. The temp I trained has left now and they have a perm. replacement that seems to be working out. I got the low down on the latest @ AP and filled them in on NYC life. It was nice chatting with them - all 3 are sweet gals. Felt a bit guilty that I was free of work for a bit while they sighed and went back.

The guys managed to get access to The Rose's costumes for the film so I stopped by there to carefully try on several vintage dresses that might work (The short takes place in 1946.) Thankfully I finally got my Brooklynese tape to listen to, too! Checking the time, I saw my meter ran out so I plugged it again with reassurance from the gal in charge of costumes that they rarely come by to check meters this time of day. Whew! Came back and found boots to wear that ended up using 3 shoestrings tied together to lace 'em up.

Ahhhh! Time! It was inching closer to 3pm already and I had told my old boss @ Husker HQ I'd start my shift about then. I said my goodbyes and ran out to the car to find the meter had expired again and I now had a ticket. Garrr!!! The director walked out about the time I discovered it and assured me they could find money in the budget to cover it. Okay - I'm good with that! ;)

As soon as I got in the car I put in the Brooklynese tape and began to try and absorb what I could. I was told the tape had a woman and man speaking so that was good. Until I heard the woman - she had an accent but her pitch was high, think Cyndi Lauper only a bit higher. My director wanted me in my lower register so there were times that I'd have to say the line like Cyndi just to feel the accent in my mouth before I could say it lower. The man on the tape read a segment from Much Ado about Nothing (Nuttin). That was truly entertaining! ;)

I was a bit late to Husker HQ - but he did say I could name my hours, right? Immediately I was put to work opening newly delivered boxes and counting/pricing the shirts inside. Then I got to fold them all and put them in cubes. Just like old times. Another worker asked me if much had changed with the place since I worked there - not a lot had. I remember helping hang the flags that still circle the ceiling in the front section of the store. But there seemed to be A LOT more merch crammed into the store. There always seems to be something new to put a Husker logo on. But apparently they keep raising the licensing fees so the mom & pop Husker Memorobilia creators are getting pushed out of the pic. Stinky.

Before the workday was over I got to go on a Juice Stop run - a tradition started when I worked there. My boss used the term "glop-ula" for his drink. Something I had totally forgotten about. Back in college I would get Juice Stop drinks to help clear the glop out of my system when I had a cold. So my boss in turn would call the Juice Stop drinks "glop-ulas". And I guess the term stuck.

Back in the car again and listening to my tape on my way to the Bellevue Little Theatre to see my friend rehearse for "Anything Goes". Am going to miss the actual performance so she suggested I come to a rehearsal. I did "Anything Goes" in High School and was surprised about how much of the lyrics I remembered. But yet, I don't remember all of the periodic table that I had to memorize in high school. Go figure. Au - gold. Ag - silver. (That's right, right?) Not all, but some.

The rehearsal was with the choreographer and I guess nights are split between choreographer and director. And from what I hear the two don't always communicate so movement is changed quite often. How frustrating.

Besides my friend I also got to see and visit with some other actors I had worked with or knew. Some didn't know I had moved.

One person said - Well, you're married, right? (Apparently wondering how my "husband" felt living in NYC.)

I told her I wasn't.

And she said - Well, I guess you just played one well then! (She played Truvy to my Annelle in Steel Mags at BLT)

Indeed.

Unfortunately as rehearsal was running late (apparently it is a trend) I had to sneak out to head back home.

And once I got home, Pizza Hut pizza was waiting for me! Yippee!

No comments: