Sunday, August 19, 2007

Baseball on the Island

This day didn't start quite as early as the previous ones had. We aimed to be up in time to get lunch on our way to Coney Island at Peanut Butter & Co. Where as you might of guessed they serve all things peanut butter including a bagel concoction called the Jerry Seinfeld. They even have their own brand of PB that includes white chocolate pb and spicy pb that could very well be sold at a store near you!

My friend decided to get the Elvis sandwich - bananas, pb & honey and I opted for the Fluffernutter - pb and marshmallow fluff. Looking over their dessert options it looked like a good place to go just for that, too! The only downside is that the place is tiny so seating is lacking when it is busy.

Once we made sure our breaths were nice and peanutbuttery we hopped on the subway again and headed to Coney Island to check out the sights and watch a Brooklyn Cyclones game.

The island wasn't as busy as it was the last time I went. But it was cooler, too - causing me to impulse buy a Brooklyn Cyclones Sweatshirt.

Cooler weather aside - The pier seemed to still be hopping with fishers - fishers that weren't watching where they swung their line.

My friend wanted to ride the Cyclone so I held her stuff while she managed to score a front row seat for the ride! Then it was off to Nathan's and boy howdy was there a line! And not a fast moving line either.

Earlier we had found out that there would be free Brooklyn Cyclones duffel bags handed out to fans so I was antsy to get in line as the gate was getting closer to being opened. I also had a hunch that the famous Nathan's dogs would probably be at the concession stand, too. So in an effort to save standing time I thought I'd check out the ballpark eats.

Although they did have Nathan's @ the ballpark my friend opted to stick it out at the stand and those duffel bags? Were actually canvas bags that didn't have the Cyclones logo on it, but rather the logo of the "Official Dumplings of the Cyclones" - Chef One. Yep. Just inside the gate a prize wheel was set up to win rides, cotton candy or drinking cups for Astroland. As the line got bigger, the gal running it announced that we didn't have to spin, we could just tell her what we wanted. So I got a free ride on the Wonder Wheel!

When I met up with my friend again we found out we were in the wrong seats and upon moving my friend discovered 2 tickets to the NY Aquarium taped under her seat!

The stadium atmosphere reminded me of the Saltdogs' stadium. Homegrown. A 4 piece marching band circled the stadium with their sounds, contests with the audience were held between each inning and the view was great overlooking the rides on Coney Island. With an added visual bonus of the neon lights around the standard ballpark lights and the UFO-like flashing lights on the Parachute Tower. Plus a good old fashioned rivalry - but not too intense - the Mets sponsored Cyclones were playing the Staten Island Yankees.

Sadly the Cyclones lost but it was not a lost evening. Heck, we even got our pics taken with the mascots! :) (That's me with Sandy.)

We climbed onto the W train to ride from one end to the other (an hour and a half) and it was already my friend's last night in NYC! (But she still has a day left...;))

No comments: