Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Like I'm Back in College

People keep asking me if it feels weird to be back. And it does. But I couldn't figure out why. It hasn't been that long. Then it hit me - I haven't been in Lincoln for an extended period of time since I moved to Omaha after college. No wonder it feels weird!

And here I am working at my old college job.

I continued my t-shirt folding project (note the red shirts on the raised display to the left in the pic, that was me!) and attempted to figure out where all the various merch was stashed.

A "Git R Dun" shirt was hanging near me and I asked my boss if Larry the Cable Guy (he has a home in Lincoln) had ever stopped by. He said he had and that he couldn't place him at first so he approached the Cable Guy and started to say - Aren't you....? And before my boss could finish he said - Git R Dun! He makes lots of money for saying that but why oh why must he be from Nebraska and help reinforce any outsiders (i.e. Native New Yorkers) stereotypes about us? Ugh.

While putting away backstock I spied a box that I had written on stored on the top shelf - apparently that batch of merch didn't sell well...

Lunch time was spent at Valentino's Xpress! The prices have changed but the taste hasn't. I was actually giddy about getting my meal there - just like college. And then, since I was re-living patterns of the past I stopped at The Cookie Company for a....yep, cookie. For whatever reason, the Omaha location of The Cookie Company never lived up to Lincoln's. The best part about their cookies is that most of the time they are still warm from the oven. And there is no comparing The CC and Eileen's because for the most part they have different varieties beyond the standards.

Oh yeah...back to work. And they let me off early!

For supper, I headed to the Haymarket to meet my friend at Lazlos. I got a table before she got there and the guy waiting on us was a guy I worked with several years ago at Garden Cafe in Lincoln. This is trippy.

When we got our bill at Lazlos it truly sank in how much more expensive NY is than NE. The price for a meal and dessert in NE would have just barely covered the meal alone at a similar place in NY. Crazy.

We met up with a couple more friends at Doc's Place. One them being a guy who just recently started hanging out with my friend and when she and some other friends were talking about me moving, he asked where I used to work and they figured out that I was the same Nora that he had known a few years before I met my friend. He was my supervisor when I worked at a telemarketing firm before I went back to college at UNL. Small-ish world.

The four of us drank (they have great martinis!), talked and laughed. I don't remember laughing that hard in a LONG time - My stomach hurt. It was great! ;)

No comments: