Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Beautiful Child

Thanks to a friend of mine I was able to take in a Fringe Festival Show for free today. She is a talented theater critic for Off Off Online and Show Business Weekly so she often has opportunities to invite someone along to see a show.

There were many shows for her to pick from at the Fringe Festival. One can only keep fingers crossed that it will live up to its description (much like movie's living up to the hype/movie trailers). Fortunately, the one we saw did!

It was called "A Beautiful Child" and it was based off an essay Truman Capote wrote about an encounter he had with Marilyn Monroe (the "beautiful child").

A simple set surrounded by wonderful acting and staging. The same dance movement is repeated thruout the play, although the movement is the same - it manages to take on a different quality each time from fun to melancholy. A short piece, it seems to go by in a blink and left me wanting more.

I would not be surprised if other theaters (possibly outside of New York) produce this piece in the future. I can only hope they live up to the high bar this production has given it.

Prior to the show my friend and I met up at a gluten-free restaurant nearby that has addictive breadsticks and then quickly buzzed over to Cones to grab a sweet treat before going to the theatre.

Since I got to the area early, it gave me time to nose out the surroundings as I had not been in this part of the city before. A couple other restaurants caught my eye for future visits - Caliente Cab Company and the Blind Tiger Ale House (that serves Bloody - aka Red - Beers!)

Aside from eats I also stepped inside Nova Ice which is probably a rung about Girl Props as far as cost for jewelery but it is still reasonable. Nova Ice has more rhinestone-y items compared to the mostly plastic kitsch of Girl Props, too.

I'm finding more and more that if you can't find it in NYC - it probably doesn't exist. But the key is knowing where to look...

No comments: