Monday, August 20, 2007

In Need of Photo I.D.

I was checking my transactions online today and noticed that the DMV had yet to charge me for my expedited service to send my Drivers License out. I immediately got on the phone to check the status and once again after redialing and holding I finally got thru to be told that it had not been sent out yet. And more importantly, the gentleman told me that he didn't know why I was told 3-5 days. That's the time it takes to process it, not process it and send it out - that's 5-7 days. I also found that getting just a state i.d. would take the same amount of time and even if I did get that I'd have to relinquish my driver's license. Then he told me I should call the airlines.

I called Northwest and after explaining my sitch, I was put on hold while the guy found an answer for me. He came back on the line and said that if I had my birth certificate, social security card and my temp license I should be able to board the plane. Uh... I asked him if I could reference him if that info didn't work or what I was supposed to do if questioned. He told me to get there early. Excellent.

By this time my stomach is in knots of worry and when I got home I stare in disbelief at the kitchen counter upon which sits a fedex from the NY DMV! A package that they didn't even know was sent out! (My roommate joked that I'd probably start getting a license every week now...) But misinformation or not, at least I had it!

So now I'm a New York licensed driver - without a car! ;)

No comments: