Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Cold Cuts

So last Monday, after the Work Outing @ Chelsea Piers I scurried home, changed and went to see some readings produced by TenGrand. The readings consist of 3 one-acts (or partial full length plays) and the next set of readings are cast from the actors in the audience who bring their headshots & resumes. This would be my third time going so my headshot and resume was on file.

Rather than drink good ol' H2O to hydrate I had imbibed more ale than water at the Piers and then got a Vanilla Frapp to give me a caffeine kick - which caused me to start suffering an unbearable headache during the first one-act read. During the 2nd one-act I shifted and massaged the base of my neck. I was starting to feel nauseous. I decided to get up after the 2nd one-act and hover in the back. That way, I wouldn't be in direct view of the actors on stage (I knew I wasn't being a very good audience member). During the 3rd one-act my symptoms got worse and I finally had to attempt a stealthy move to the bathroom. Of course no sooner do I get in there then I hear clapping! Doh! So close! I felt trapped now though because I knew the "host" of the readings was going to announce the names of who was to participate next week and I hesitated to make any noise in fear I'd miss my name (if called). So I hung out in the bathroom and lo and behold - my name was called! Go figure. Fortunately, he didn't need acknowledgement then. He just asked that we meet him in the lobby to get our scripts. I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked like hell warmed over. I had taken out my ponytail holder hoping it would relieve my headache and my eyes did not look "well".

I headed out to get my script and the "host" says "Well, at least you look like your headshot" to another person that was cast. At that moment - I probably didn't look like my headshot. Oh well. I still got cast!!! Woo-Hoo!

Now fast forward to yesterday night - my first appearance on a New York stage! (And my name was actually in a program too!) My roommates and friends came out to see me (which was hugely appreciated and also good because they helped the audience size that was considerable less since this was to be the last reading of the summer and there was no chance for casting.)

The one-act I was in, was called "Silent Strength". The plot? A young woman is stuck at a mechanic's shop and running late for "work". She befriends the assistant there and after her "work" is revealed to be a professional wrestler she proceeds to put the sleazy mechanic in his place. A fun show and people seemed to enjoy it!

Now to continue memorize lines to play Rumpelstiltskin in a Children's Show the weekend after next. I walked thru stage directions on Sunday with another Rumple who will be performing this weekend (She's new to NYC too, moved here on June 15th from London! - when she found out I was from Omaha, NE - she said, excitedly "That's where Marlon Brando is from!") Not totally sure I'll have a handle on much else but my lines (there's a song I need to know - will have the lyrics down but not sure about the tune) - but I'm going to "observe" the show this weekend and hopefully manage to pull it off! Eek!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the NYC acting gigs!

I've been in one show here since I last corresponded with you. Lorie O. recently directed a charity benefit show of Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny Court Martial, and I played the stenographer. I had very few lines in the show (as you may have guessed), but hey, I hadn't even auditioned for it, so I can't complain. Actually, given the overall excellence of the cast, I'm not sure I would've been cast in a showier role even if I had tried out--other actors included Aaron W. and Wes C., and I was once again thrown into the WWII US Navy along with two of my Mister Roberts crewmates, Andy N. and John C.

Oops, I guess I'm starting to make this post all about me. My bad.

Anyway good luck with Rumplestiltskin!