Friday, June 15, 2007

Subway Convos, BRGR & YCTIWY

In a previous blog I wrote about what I saw on the subway - now let me share with you a couple convos I heard...

The first was one I had first hand with a guy who just randomly started talking to me. He asked me how my day had been going - I asked in return (trying to be nice and not really sure what this guy's angle was...) and found out he was a playwright. He told me I had to know what I brought to the table. "What can you bring to the table?" Will let that one just hang there...talk amongst yourselves...

Then another convo I heard between a business man and cop. Right before they were getting off the subway, the biz man said - "Well, I'd like to thank you for representing the line between chaos and normalcy." The cop (clean shaven and oddly reminding me of Vic Mackey on The Shield) said, "The line gets thinner everyday." Neat. I'm sure that's just what me and everyone else on the subway wanted to hear!

From subway talk to food..

I recently ate at ANOTHER burger joint with some friends called - BRGR. Once again, they had faboo fries and I liked their burgers better but they were a tad pricey. Nice atmosphere though. And it is across the street from The Museum @ FIT. Which is free and has some cool threads by Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel and others on display, as well as various artwork by the students.

After eating @ BRGR we headed to another nearby spot - the T. Schrieber Studio (btw - T. Schrieber is very personable!) where "You Can't Take It With You" is currently on stage. It was weird to see it again so soon after I was a part of it. Of course I was biased towards the show I was just in- but this show worked for the cast involved, the stage, etc.

Anne Kaufman (George S. Kaufman's daughter) liked the show enough to meet the cast when she went (apparently she has been known to NOT meet the cast when she didn't approve of the show, one time being at a London Theatre!) She even plugged the show while speaking @ Kitty Carlisle's funeral!

The rather odd timing of it all was that the next day I got a certificate in the mail from the Omaha Playhouse saying that I'd been nominated for the Barbara Ford (Best Supporting) Award for the role of "Essie" in YCTIWY. Of course I won't be there for awards night, but it was cool that I got nominated! :) (Even if Ann Kaufman didn't see me and give her approval... ;))

On a sidenote I want to give my friend Amy a quick plug (she was nice enough to share a free ticket for the show with me). Check out her reviews on offoffonline.com! :)

1 comment:

Amy Krivohlavek said...

Thanks for the plug! I will keep my eyes peeled for Flamin' Hot Cheetos--they're bound to pop up somewhere ... Hope you're feeling better!