Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Drive-In (sans car) @ 30 Rock

Headed to the city for another meeting with a business contact - had my resume, references, change of shoes - but realized too late that I had forgotten my camera, a pen and umbrella.

That's okay, I thought - I can always borrow a pen, it isn't supposed to rain until later and I don't have to take a pic of EVERYTHING I encounter...right?!

I went to the meeting and then eventually made my way to 30 Rock for the opening night of the Tribeca Drive-In Film Festival. I looked at the set up and wished I had my camera. I called my roommate to see if she might be coming in to see the movie, maybe she could bring it in - but alas, she had decided to do something else and added that rain wasn't supposed to happen until 11pm. Good to know.

They started letting people into the seating area at 6pm but the movie didn't start until 9pm. Not knowing how the crowds were going to be for this free outdoor event, I was there early. It ended up being a LONG wait until the movie started. And there never was an overwhelming crowd - in fact, they let us sift into VIP seating because not even all the VIPs showed up! Eek! Not good...(maybe it was better for the following nights...)

While waiting I tried to read (couldn't write because I had no pen) and took a few not so great pics on my cell, but eventually ended up overhearing a convo between the women sitting next to me - roommates. One chattered on about how she went to a psychic (sp?) that told her she'd find her man in the next month at the gym but that he worked out at 6am. Of course she lamented that she barely made it to the gym herself, let alone that early. (Later saying that she thinks some Knicks players must work out there though because there are some tall black guys there.) Then they talked about some "self-help" stuff involving getting over the "exes" in their lives. Am finding so many venues in NYC that are good for people watching (and listening!)

FINALLY, it was 9pm and Rachel Dratch (you can see a pic of her and others at the event via this link under "drive-in"- http://www.tribecafilmfestival.org/photo-gallery.html) was introduced as the host for the event. She tried to be funny but the crowd really wasn't responsive. It was sad. Then FINALLY the movie started...er, rather they showed a short (click the link to watch it - it ended up being better than the feature!) and THEN the feature movie started...

"Watching the Detectives" sounded promising - Cillian Murphy and Lucy Liu starred. I kept waiting for it to be something more than it was...and it never happened. It just didn't gel - and when a love scene came it seemed totally out of place even though, I think this was supposed to be a romantic comedy. It was almost like the love scene was from a different movie based on its tone. I'm sure Cillian and Lucy had fun playing their characters but the story needed work. I peaked at my watch as it crept closer to 11pm. People started to leave - but I was determined to stick it out, hoping this movie would prove me wrong - hope flickered as one scene featured a song by "Eagles of Death Metal" but even that moment wasn't enough to redeem this not even worthy of straight to video movie.

The wind started to pick up...I glanced at my watch again as more people left.

Then...the guy in the couple sitting in front of me looked at his woman and said, "Did you feel that?" Two drops of rain and then DOWN POUR! It was insane! A wall of rain - everyone scurried for cover. I missed the last 5 minutes of the movie. Ahhhh! Should have just left when the others did...OR, perhaps I should have just remembered my umbrella!

Fortunately the down pour turned into just plain rain after while - made it to the subway stop without getting too soaked. My umbrella has been in my purse ever since - as well as my camera and my pen. From now on, I won't leave home without them!

No comments: