Thursday, June 7, 2007

Just another day in NYC

Today I finally caved and decided to make it laundry day. Now there are two options you can take - drop off your clothes and get charged so much per lb OR sit there and wash them yourself. Since my time is a little unstructured right now, I decided to go with the latter.

I've NEVER been to a laundromat before. I've been to basements at apartment complexes and dorms but not an actual laundromat. Since they do the drop off wash, I was quickly ushered to the back as they use the front machines. Got it.

Then discovered that they have big machines ($2.25 per load) and smaller ones ($1.50 per load). Since I hadn't used them before I wasn't sure how much the small could hold vs the bigger so I opted for the bigger realizing later that the smaller probably would have been fine.

That's okay though, I thought...the dryer is only 25 cents! Woot! Then I discovered that was 25 cents per 8 minutes. Oh.

Once the laundry was done I officially got ready for the day and headed into the city to run various errands. This is what I wore -

On the back of my Aerosmith shirt it mentions a '78 concert. A guy from behind starts talking to me before I realize that it is actually me he is talking to - he asks if I went to that concert. No - I would have been 1 at the time. It did make me chuckle though, the night before one of the student promoters for the actor class asked if I was just out of school and when I said "for a while" she was surprised. And then this guy asked if I went to a '78 concert - although he was looking at me from the back - perhaps my backside looks older?! ;) tee-hee.

I'm learning many things - one being that NYC is FULL of people to watch. Here are a few things I've seen so far - a woman who had tattoos of an eye on each boob - well, the clevage part ala Eve and her bear claws. If it is a sport from NYC it matches - I saw a man with knee high navy socks, khaki shorts, a Jets t-shirt and a Mets hat on. Smokers don't really care where they fling their cigarettes or ashes. Ashes flew in my eye yesterday after someone was flinging their cig about and then my friend told me that his girlfriend was actually burnt on the arm by a passerby's cig before. Eeek! Yet another thing to keep an eye out for when walking about I guess...

Plus, I think I've come up with a new reality show/contest - people can vie to be the best subway entertainer! Lots of varying talents at stops and on the subways. Why not? I'm sure people would watch - although I'm not sure some of the potential "talent" would be mentally stable enough to go on national television...

Before I headed home for the day I decided I needed to stop for something to drink, which became something to eat at Europa across the street from...The Ed Sullivan Theatre/Late Show with David Letterman! Although I knew I was in the area, it didn't totally dawn on me until I looked up from my sandwich and there was the marquee.

Then I walked down the street past the Bad Boy Entertainment building and saw two VERY NICE cars double parked with their flashers on - perhaps one vehicle was for P. Diddy himself?! I continued on to the subway stop. Ah...New York.

No comments: