Friday, December 7, 2007

Here & There All Around the Square

I got the day off Friday and my visiting friend and I woke up bright and early to try and get standby tickets to Regis & Kelly. When we arrived the line was already about 30 people long (and that was just the standby - the actual ticket holders weren't there yet). I decided to make a trip across the street to *bucks to use an early B-day present from the 'rents - a *bucks giftcard! But upon my return I found out that I could have gotten my breakfast for FREE!!! (Even w/out a giftcard.) There is a guy that drives around to The Early Show, Rachel Ray, Regis & Kelly, The View and The Late Show w/ David Letterman and distributes coffee, hot cocoa, donuts, bagels, french toast sticks, fruit and more to those standing in line. A very cool deal - and somewhat of a consolation for those that stand and don't get into the show...

As we stood in line we found out that the couple ahead of us was there celebrating their 20th Anniversary and the couple behind us was celebrating their 33rd! Needless to say, they bonded and it sounded like they were going to hang out together as they both finished their trips. The couple that had 33 yrs racked up told about how they met because they both were scuba divers and he actually proposed to her underwater - adding that if she said "no" he knew how to cut off her air. Ha?

Finally it was time for them to hand out standby #s and we got the 3rd and 2nd to last #s. We were to come back in about 40 minutes to see if fate would smile upon us. Time ticked slowly as it was a bit frigid out and there weren't a lot of places open to hide in. We headed back and waited and waited until 9am and found out that alas...we weren't going to see Regis & Kelly that day. :( My friend did get to go in and buy a souvenir for a relative at their gift kiosk though.

Where next? To see what holiday displays we hadn't seen the night before, of course! As we headed to 5th avenue we walked past the Lincoln Center Tree. Then headed down 5th to see the windows @ Saks, Lord & Taylor (Windows alternated between mannequins dressed in white sparkling dresses and animated dolls in various old fashioned grand 5th ave mansions of yore settings) and Macys (one section of windows was inspired by "Miracle on 34th Street" and check out the sunglasses wreath!). In a very smart move - most businesses with window displays have a chained off area for people to walk and gawk so they aren't impeding the general foot traffic flow.

We decided to see what chaos there may be inside Macy's and found the New Year's Eve Ball on display! Much like a Wurlitzer Jukebox it changed color every few seconds and they had expensive replica ornaments on hand if you wanted your very own New Year's Eve Ball.

And all that was done before 11am! We went to Benjamins for lunch and visited my roommate who was working there.

Once we were warmed up and recharged we walked down to Union Square window shopping along the way. While walking the area a guy hollered at me and I ignored him (as is standard in NYC) and then I realized that I probably should pay attention to him as he had picked up my pair of gloves that I dropped! (I had inadvertently left the house with my "nice" gloves and not-so-nice gloves in tow and the "nice" ones were what he found. Whew!)

From Union Square we headed to the NYC Library where we saw the Jack Kerouac display that includes the unfurled original draft of "On the Road".

Behind the Library we went to Bryant Park to see the Canadian Xmas Tree and to ride the carrousel! A while back my mom had found some info about the carrousel and said that the rabbit and frog (w/a rooster head for a rearend - not kidding) were the most popular ones to ride. So my friend rode the rabbit and I rode the frog! About the time we started whirling around it started to flurry and since we were the only riders, the carrousel operator was eager to take pics of us so he had something to do!

Time to warm up again @ *bucks and then it was off to the Young Frankenstein Box Office to sign up for lottery tickets. (Unfortunately, I had an audition so I wouldn't be able to go but was trying to win them for my friend! :)) McDonald's was a sponsor of the lottery (which happened to be across the street) so we had our dinner there as we waited for them to draw the lucky winners and my friend won!!!

We parted ways and I headed towards my audition by way of meeting another friend that flew in and was staying with another friend of hers that lives here (did you catch all that?!) She greeted me with a bag of frozen Runzas and then we headed to Cafeteria for a quick bite before I headed to NYU for my audition.

On the way there, I walked thru Washington Square and saw that area's Xmas tree framed by the Arch.

My audition was for a feature length film by an NYU student. I walked in and was introduced to the 4 people sitting in the room, was told I'd be filmed and so it began...I felt like I was doing okay, until the person reading the other lines totally skipped some physical business I was supposed to be doing and lumped the whole chunk of lines together. Uh, er...awkward pause, oh...I see what just happened - trying to fast forward any movements I had in mind, etc I got to where I needed to be but by then I saw it all going down the drain. Dang. Oh well. Another audition under my belt and another lesson learned - for all the prep you may have, you still have to be ready for the unexpected.

When I finally landed at home I had 3 of my 4 gloves left. Of course it was one of the "nice" ones that was missing - Doh!

No comments: