Sunday, December 16, 2007

More Visiting in Omaha

It was on the road to Omaha again, today.

I had told my 'rents that I wanted to make a stop @ Westroads to see the memorials and basically just to see the place in general. The news headline made everything so surreal - watching a place I know all too well being covered on national news and being so far away from it.

Traffic in the parking lot slowed as cars passed the outside entrance of VonMaur. The steps were covered with stuffed animals, flowers, notes and snowflakes. Snowflakes became the uniting way people could show their support, grief, etc for the events that happened and when we entered the food court @ Westroads a giant Christmas tree was covered with them. We headed over to the VonMaur and the amount of snowflakes, messages and more was overwhelming. It was a wonderful show of humanity in the wake of such needless tragedy. We only went to the 2nd floor entrance, however we could see the third floor entrance was covered with just as much, if not more notes, snowflakes, etc. Tables were set up with books to write messages to the victims' families and other tables were set up so people could make snowflakes there.

I snapped pics with my cell to show people that hadn't gone to see it - thought the cell might be a little less intrusive then pulling out a camera. Still felt a bit weird about doing it though - but it would have been hard to describe otherwise...it was an amazing sight.

Although my 'rents weren't all that excited to go, afterward - we were all glad we went. It was also interesting to see that the tragedy had not stopped shoppers - Westroads was packed.

Mid-afternoon I was to meet a group of friends @ Runza! (And bring dessert from Cupcake Island!) One friend asked if I could come early so we could chat and get some one on one. I asked the 'rents to drop me off early and my mom kept asking if it would be okay if they came in early too as long as they weren't close by - I asked that they wait. I didn't know what my friend wanted to talk about and Runza ain't that big - I know there are some things I wouldn't want to discuss with a friend with their parents only a few feet away! ;) Little did I know though that my friend had cooked up a plan to make my gathering a makeshift B-day Surprise Party (which my mom had seen an email about, thus the persistant insistance on coming in early - doh!) At any rate, my friend and another friend were there early to tell me what they had planned. Then they presented me with a birthday sash and crown,personal B-day cake, balloon and even a recorded Birthday Song from my planner friend's son! (The playdoh in the still is supposed to be a birthday cake.;)) I was truly surprised and touched.

Others started to arrive (some had seen the email, some hadn't yet - so there was a bit of confusion when they came in and saw me all decked out!;)) As with most large-ish gatherings you get to see everyone but you don't necessarily get to talk to them a whole lot. That's what happened but I think everyone understood.

Soon the "party" dwindled down and it was back to Lincoln again where I got to redeem my free B-day meal @ Noodles & Co for supper! (Once again, something that's not in NYC.)

Starting to think of what else needs to be done before I go...flight takes off tomorrow.

No comments: