Saturday, December 29, 2007

Peter & Jerry

Thanks to a surprise bonus at work, I was able to treat myself to a show that I had been putting off due to needing money for basic needs like, uh...food and shelter.

I had many on my list but thanks to some that had closed already (Things We Want) or were already sold out due to a limited run (Cyrano) some decisions were already made for me! ;) Time played a part in the show I did settle on - "Peter & Jerry" as it too was closing soon.

An off-broadway show, "Peter & Jerry" by Edward Albee is a fleshed out 2 act play with the 1st act being newer, "Homelife" and the 2nd act being, "The Zoo Story", which had ran for years on its own.

I had never been to the 2econd Stage Theatre, where it was produced. It is nice but if you ever go, get there early - the aisles are narrow, so you have no choice but to climb over people if your seat is in the middle. The ushers were all over people that had their cell phones on and were talking or texting preshow or @ intermission - they asked the people to shut them off and more than once the people said they would, but would continue to talk - good listening skills! Unfortunately, not all cell users were spotted so it became a cat & mouse game as those that HAD been caught would see those that hadn't and think they could still have their's out. Ugh.

Needless to say - that served as my preshow & intermission entertainment. That plus the guy that was supposed to sit by me asked if he could stand instead (we were in the back row), but still used the seat for his overstuffed backpack and disappeared after intermission.

The show itself starred Bill Pullman, along with Dallas Roberts (who was nearly unrecognizable compared to his portrayal of a much more cleaner cut "Sam Phillips" in Walk the Line) and Johanna Day. An outstanding cast! I hadn't seen the 2nd act as a play on its own nor read it before so everything that unraveled was unexpected, surprising and new - it kept me thinking...what will happen, next?! Where is this going?! And in turn, it made me think...I need to get to writing more! Perhaps that will be my resolution for the new year.

I'd say - go see it! But it ends tomorrow. Perhaps it will be revived at a theatre near you....

No comments: