Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas, Christmas Time is here...

I started my first Xmas day away from home with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. Technically I was in the same room with them - but they were on the screen. ;) I saw "The Bucket List". A bit more serious than the trailers would have you believe and some of the special effects seemed a little shoddy for a film directed by Rob Reiner and starring the two gentleman mentioned prior. It is a nice movie but you can wait til video. It always amazes me how great Freeman can be no matter what the quality of film and Jack just seems to be a in a rut, playing they same kind of character over and over.

My roomies had the day off too so we made dinner (I used the same recipe for taters as I had for T-day and then made quick & easy chicken & dumplings) and watched "White Christmas". I had never seen that movie before. We kept commenting on Vera-Ellen's waistline. A quick google by my roommate sadly brought up that she battled an eating disorder and her high neckline costumes were made to cover her neck which had suffered from the disorder.

After the movie, I took advantage of the mild weather (high was 49!) and walked. A couple days ago it was in the 60s, but unfortunately it was accompanied with blowing rain. :(

And that was the gist of my Xmas in Queens!

Since the holiday season seemed to inspire the baker in me once again - here are some recipes that I used with great reviews...fairly easy, if you are looking for something new... :)

Cinnamon Swirl Loaf - and yes, I used Watkins ingredients. My mom is a rep! :)

Quick Chicken & Dumplings - couldn't find the soup they suggest so used Chix & Veg soup instead - it was gobbled up by the roomies!

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Expresso Thumbprint Cookies

Crunchy Peanut Clusters - sans holiday sprinkles

Peanutty Squares - I used honey

No comments: