Tuesday, December 18, 2007

On the Company Dime

Today was what I would call "Free Food Day".

Lunch was brought in @ work today in honor of one of the namesake's retirement. Then tonight we had the company holiday party at Blue Fin in Times Square inside the W hotel - even if you never stay there, go into their lobby and checkout the waterfall.

We had our own room and even special menus printed for the occasion. Open bar and several rounds of appetizers (shrimp cocktail, sliders, chicken satay, etc) made it nearly impossible to finish the large portioned 3 course meal (thankfully they offered to pack leftovers up for us so it didn't go to waste.) If you click on the menu listing you can see the food choices we had....my picks - Spicy Tuna Roll w/ Thai Dipping Sauce (appetizer, apparently the others served prior were h'oerdurves -that is totally spelled wrong and my spellcheck doesn't even recognize it but you know what I mean! :) - ...technically), Big Eye Tuna w/ Shitake Mushrooms, Snow peas and Ginger Soy (entree) and Eggnogg Brulee' w/ Ginger Snap Mallow Mars (dessert).

I have been bringing treats in on occasion @ work and was told that I should start my own business and package some up. One person added that a husband could be found for me quickly if word got around about my baking - er...cause, that's my motivation in baking...to nab an unsuspecting man to be my hubby. Ugh. I guess they mean well though...although I don't like that they seem to think that would be a priority to me, let alone that I'd need their help....sigh. Kicking the soapbox away.

As people started to dwindle (mind you, this was a work night) one of the partners offered to buy a round of drinks at Del Frisco's for anyone that wanted to go. Me and the Admin Asst/Paralegal from the San Fran branch decided to go, in addition to a half dozen others. It was interesting exchanging notes with her - she was an actress, too but got burnout after doing a one woman show she wrote, starred, produced in and then went the current route.

By the time we were at Del Frisco's for drinks I really didn't feel like turning into "Pam" on The Office ala Chilis so I opted for Sprite - which of course went over like a lead balloon. Always interesting to observe co-workers out of the workplace. I always wonder how much of their "off hours" behavior is more them than their "work" behavior or if neither is totally accurate. It certainly is a study...humans and their behavior....who knows what they may think of me....the actress from Nebraska...if they only knew...(Insert extended Dr. Evil laugh here.) LOL.;)

No comments: