Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Start on Stage?


Sunday marked my first volunteer hours at 13th Street Rep. 10-1pm. I worked the "Children's Theatre" shift. Which meant I answered the phone and sold tickets...and got change from the bagel shop around the corner.

Edith was getting a little frustrated by my "newbie" questions and I explained that it was my first time volunteering - she didn't know that and instantly she became a little more understanding.

She asked me again when I became interested in acting and I told her again how my mom had started a Children's Theatre in a small town we moved to when I was in 5th grade - to not only give her kids something productive to do but also give other kids something productive to do, too! Of course, I had an interest in acting and writing prior to this - but the Children's Theatre experience certainly boosted my experience along.

Once I reminded her of my Children's Theatre experience, she remembered me - pointing out that there is an intern named "Norah" there.

Then she asked if I had auditioned for anything yet.

Not yet. Really haven't been an opportunity. Instantly you could tell Edith's mind was in gear - we'll find you something! Then she asked if I'd seen the Children's shows.

I hadn't.

She told me that one of the shows, "Rumple Who?" was an original piece inspired by the traditional Rumplestiltskin story. And she thought I should read the script and see what I thought of the Rumple character - could be played by a guy or gal.

Then after she found the script, she asked how quick I was at memorizing lines.

It depends on the script, I said.

Before I left, she told me to start memorizing and she thought she could use me on stage soon!

So in a matter of an hour or so an option to read a play seemed to transform into an official acting opportunity (not paid - but still acting without pay is better than no acting at all...). Seemed to...

Not sure when this would start and would hope there would be a few rehearsals before I would start. Definitely need to find out more - but am trying to cram lines into my head so I'm somewhat ready if I get called to the batter's box, so to speak. ;)

Will of course keep you updated but IF I do end up on stage, I hope to improve upon the 1 star rating status that the play currently has on this link.

No comments: