Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Part of the workforce again

After spending a little over a month, jobless - I am now a part of the work force in NYC.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect...all I knew is what time I needed to show up and where. Lunchtime, dress code clarification, when I got paid and the like was still a mystery to me.

When I got there, I found out they had JUST let the gal before me go yesterday. Some employees were surprised to be introduced to a new receptionist as they didn't even know the previous one had been let go. Awkward. Those that weren't so surprised told me "Good Luck" and not in a "Break a leg" kind of way - more in a "You're gonna need it" kind a way. What a welcome...

In addition to that - all her stuff was there and I don't mean like a trinket on a desk. I mean a basket of shoes, a sweater, multiple trinkets, fancy curtain rods she had stored in the closet, rolling desk/file cabinet that was to be discarded from another office in the building but the security guy let her have it and the list goes on.

So while sorting thru to find what was hers and what wasn't I ran across a listing of duties that she had apparently written up to give to the bossmen to show how much she did and try to get a raise - the irony? This note was hidden among a drawer FULL of personal files - everything from bills to a folder specifically made for "myspace" info.

Before getting hired I had been told the current receptionist wasn't happy and had actually been taking time off to go on interviews! As I further sorted/ridded I discovered several of her resumes printed out on the printer. Wow.

At first they were going to send everything to her, but after realizing how much stuff she had here - she came right before close to pick it up. Once again...awkward.

Aside from that...

I love the look of the old building I work in but, with an old building comes old plumbing and poor air circulation - i.e. - the air conditioner doesn't work so well in my part of the building but freezes people out in other parts. Oh well - coming from NO ac @ home, I look at it being better than nothing! :)

I also discovered that although the mayor wants the city to be "green" minded - the place I work for doesn't. They don't recycle and they use styrofoam coffee cups! Ugh.

There is a Starbucks down the street from where I work (let's face it, there's a Starbucks down ANY street...) but I feel the need to be sneaky if I get some because there is an anti-Starbucks employee here. Why is he anti? Because he says that Starbucks stole their concept from Peets (a mostly west coast coffee joint) - and he happens to have been a friend with one of the people that started Peets. Ahh...

Also, I discovered another curious phenomenon...when buying a Frappaccino at Duane Reade, I was automatically given a straw. Cause apparently that's how it is done in NYC? News to me...I still go strawless with my bottled frapps. ;)

I was told that the questions I was asking took the gal before the last a year to ask - apparently I'm showing initiative by asking questions that to me, are norm to ask...go figure. Hooray for midwestern values! (?)

Besides just plain figuring out what I need to do for my job - I'm also adjusting to being in a less "creative" environ going from Advertising to a Hedge Fund Law Firm.

But the best part? Actually having breaks FORCED upon me - something lacking before - and then I can head out to the fire escape stairs and chill while enjoying the landscape. The first time I stepped out there is when it sunk in that I had a job in New York! Really? I can eat lunch at Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station or Bryant Park and I can take my breaks while enjoying a view of the Pepsi Cola sign on Long Island City - among other sites & buildings.

On to day 2...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to shop Peets - Starbucks does it way better. heh