Monday, July 16, 2007

Nose Plugs Needed

Today I got my first taste of the infamous subway delays I'd heard about and in turn got to experience the "sardine effect".

While waiting for a transfer it was announced that the train I was waiting on would be going back from where it came because forward progress was stalled due to a medical emergency up the line.

Translation - I had to get back on the train I'd just gotten off of and transfer elsewhere. Or rather get back on the next train since that one had left...

So the next one comes and it was insane. There just plain wasn't any room for me and my bag that is quickly becoming an "everything and kitchen sink" tote.

I decided to risk being late and wait for the next one. The next came and there were hardly any people on it at all. I was pleased - see it was worth waiting! Then I transferred....

Same thing, only this time I had room and then others shoved in behind me and I mean SHOVED and there was no where to go! Now I was a part of the insanity and then someone farted. An SBD. It faded and then it happened again. Are you kidding me?! And the heat of the people just made it worse. How many more stops?! There was no escape. No place to turn. It seemed to surround me.

And then FINALLY I came to my stop - Hallelujah!

I did end up being late - 5 minutes, but apparently subway delays are an accepted "late" excuse so I wasn't hugely worried. But still..

Got to work and my boss called and told me that they had been working out and a guy kept crowding them. Of course they were getting irritated and then they realized who the "crowder" was....Bruce Springsteen! Apparently he doesn't believe in personal space...

Then a co-worker breezed past my desk and said he'd lost a bet. He'd thought I'd be gone by now...I really couldn't read whether he was serious. He waited a beat and said he was joking...ohkay...then he said that he thought that overall people were fair here. Good to know?

Here's to surviving my first full week...

No comments: