Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Down came the rain

This morning I woke to rain. By the time I got out the shower it had turned into a full blown thunderstorm. Rather vicious sounding with lightening flashing around and a total downpour - how the heck was I going to walk to the subway with my umbrella without getting struck down?!

I continued to get ready and fortunately it let up by the time I headed out. Woot! Except I forgot one thing...even though the storm has moved from your starting point, that does not mean it won't be there to greet you once you reach your destination. And there it was in all its downpour glory. Good Grief!

I arrived at work at my usual time (10 til 9) and it was a ghost floor. Did I miss a memo?

I discovered that a lot of trains were being delayed due to weather. I'm discovering that trains can be delayed for a lot of different reasons.

My supervisor finally got here and just keeps repeating - I've NEVER seen a rain like this before...

In other news...I went to my audition at 13th Street Rep last night and have been accepted into the the fold as it were.

The audition was rather informal - I stood on the stage in front of present "members" and performed. Then they asked me a few questions and I was asked to share where I was from and how long I'd been in NYC. Another gal was there to audition and they asked us both to wait afterwards - so we were both asked to "join".

Basically, this means that I need to sign up for 3 volunteer hours a week and then wait for the next audition, hopefully have a part to audition for and then with any luck...get cast.

Will see how it goes. I raised an eyebrow at the sincerity level of the other gal who auditioned - she "sounded" nice, but took advantage of the fact that Edith can't see well and really wasn't paying attention to her when she talked. The gal brought her mother, who did the same thing but didn't even try to sound nice.

Yes, yes...I know I'm in New York. Not necessarily the land of nice - but I'd rather have a person be straight up rude rather than fake being nice. Garr.

Riding home on the subway after viewing a not so great rendition of Richard III (thankfully the person we went to see WAS good, but as a whole the production needed help) , a gal sat by me all elbows. She finally got settled in with her ipod and proceeded to sniff. I thought she had a cold but noticed out of the corner of my eye that she kept wiping her eyes and was quietly sobbing. She rode by me all the home as she got off on the same stop I did. I wasn't sure what to do. Typically, subways are not a social place. Everyone keeps to themselves. Did she want comfort or hoping to have a good cry and not be bothered? I dug around in my purse for a tissue but of course didn't have any. I kept thinking what I could do that wasn't too intrusive. So silly or not as I went to leave the train I leaned in and said that I hope it would get better. She was busy putting on her sunglasses (at night) before exiting so I'm not sure she even heard me. What would you have done? Puzzling.

No comments: