Thursday, July 19, 2007

Old Acquaintance

As I was getting off the subway and headed for home, I saw one of my roommates had texted me. He asked what I was doing tonight and if I'd be interested in a free ticket to see "Old Acquaintance". Heck Yeah!

Apparently my roomie scored the free tickets due to answering a response in a broadway chat room he belongs to and he was kind enough to share one with me! :)

I had been curious about the show - the premise sounded fun and I knew the actresses should be good - but hesitant to spend the moola on it as the reviews hadn't been all that great.

But for free...who cares if it doesn't live up to reviewers standards? I've sat thru enough free movie previews of not so great quality - I'm sure I could manage to get thru this! ;)

So after a brief stop at home, we headed back to Times Square and the American Airlines Theatre. Although the name is corporate, the theatre certainly isn't. It is absolutely gorgeous inside having been restored to it's original look. (This pic was taken of the ceiling in the 3rd floor lobby.)

Finally the show started. The curtain went up and Wow! The set was wonderful! A spontaneous thought flickered thru my brain - I'm going to be up there enjoying sets like that one of these days. How spectacular that would be!

Later, I realized why this show had struck me with the possibility of things to come...it was the first PLAY I'd seen on Broadway since I moved here. The others had been musicals. Many steps to take til I get there but that flicker re-confirmed the notion that it IS possible...

Back to the show...the play took a bit to get into full swing. The chemistry wasn't quite there between the two lovers in the beginning and I was admittedly distracted by seeing the netting from wigs popping up on the actresses foreheads and around their ears. And the young woman in the show - wasn't entirely as endearing as I think she was supposed to be.

But once the friends got on stage together that's when the show seemed to pick up. You could tell that Margaret Colin and Harriet Harris had fun working with each other and Harris knows how to work every moment she has on stage with her character.

Although the play had 3 acts, they were only around a half hour each so they zipped along. Another fabulous set appeared for Act II and then back to the first set for the final Act. Although the show may not have been perfect, it was still enjoyable and I'm glad I got to see it. Now would I have paid $56 (what the free tix were worth) to see it? Probably not - but maybe $25.

No comments: