Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Catered Affair

It was dinner & a show w/ a friend tonight.

We had planned to meet @ Connolly's Pub for dinner but my friend got her pubs confused on 45th so we met @ O'Lunneys instead! The place is huge! I went in one door to look for my friend and she was on the other side - neither of us knew there were 2 entrances! The food was your basic pub food - I imagine one general goes there for the atmosphere rather than the food.

Time to head for the show - Catered Affair. On our way, we passed the theatre where MacBeth is being performed and decided we'd see that next Tuesday! :)

Since our tickets were cheap we were in the balcony and somehow managed to get seated between 2 pda couples. I have to say if I was on a date and money was spent on tickets to see a show, I'd save my own "show" for home as that is free and it can happen @ anytime! ;) But that's just my philosophy... giggle.

Catered Affair starts the show by giving you some backstory w/ the gossiping neighbors - I thought this was a clever twist rather than having some poor character be stuck w/ several lines of exposition. The other thing I liked is that although the set wasn't exactly "basic" (they had a working stove top - you could smell and see the eggs cooking on!) they stopped short of going overboard by utilizing projections to "change" the set.

The story itself was okay. Harvey Fierstein was himself and added most of the levity. Probably the funniest moment is when he gets huffy and says he's going to bed - which means the company has to clear the couch as that is his bed! lol!

My friend and I found ourselves more invested in the parents (played by Faith Prince & Tom Wopat) than the young couple getting married. In fact, during the young couple's "love" song I kinda zoned out.

Although there is a song about the rollercoaster ride that love/life is, there never really seemed to be a peak moment of happiness, just an it is the way it is and it will be okay. I guess that is better than nothing thou, right?!

And on a totally different note, I really think the daughter could have at least gotten the wedding dress and worn that to her court house wedding! ;)

At the curtain call, Faith Prince ran out and when she turned to head towards the front of the stage she slowed to a walk/strut. My friend said that Patti LuPone does that, too. When the cast exited, Tom Wopat lingered and gave the audience a wave w/ his hat. It was a nice and genuine moment.

No comments: