Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Angels in Progress Reading - 1

Naked Angels is a great production development program that offers readings every month and on occasion puts on a program called "Angels in Progress" in which readings of plays are performed by celebrities. The best part? It's free to the public! (Donors make this possible - and a list of donors revealed that Steven Weber is one of them.) So, I went to the first of a few I made reservations for tonight. Here was the line up-


Prix-Fixe by Jon Robin Baitz

Directed by Trip Cullman

A delicious tasting menu of four courses prepared by Jon Robin Baitz.

Amuse Bouche: My Beautiful Goddamn City

Appetizer: Shuddering to Think

Entree: Coq Au Vin

Dessert: It Changes Every Year

Starring: Matthew Broderick, Keith Nobbs, Henry Stram, Fred Weller, Didi O'Connell and Blythe Danner

Danner struck me as someone that would be great to work w/. Very supportive and giving as an actress. Wasn't sure what was going on w/ Broderick as he seemed to have a bit ADD as he kept looking out into the audience - maybe there was someone there he knew? He just seemed distracted. One one-act had him act & cluck like a chicken...that was interesting.... ;)

For the most part, each actor had their turn at reading stage directions and it annoyed me that some very obviously didn't think much of the duty. I know it's not a character but it's still a very important element of the show - especially a reading. If the words are mumbled or tripped over it kind of ruins the rest of the elements.

The one-acts themselves were an interesting assortment. From actors portraying a chicken couple about to get slaughtered to Mother's Day being celebrated w/a twist (the Mother's were celebrating w/their child's partner, not their child).

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more!

On my way back I transferred at Bryant Park and they were showing the Yankees game on the big screen. I tried to get in on some of the giveaways prior to going to the reading but was too early and now all the giveaways were over. I heard the announcer say - Maybe it's time for Joba.

As I continued on to the subway @ Times Square I narrowly missed a bum spitting on the ground and having it land on my shoe. Ahhh, New York! ;)




No comments: