Saturday, September 1, 2007

Game Day!

After a quick stop at The Coffee House (another college haunt) my parents dropped me off at Husker HQ @ 8am for game day. Thankfully, they were willing to chauffeur me around so I wouldn't have to find a parking spot.

(Note on pic - Neon green shirts are so the workers can be found in the crowd and I'm standing next to my parent's car that got me around while I was back.)

The first Husker football game of the season. Nothing like it. No matter the record from the previous season, it is now a clean slate. Hope is renewed and people need new Husker gear!

I assumed my old post at the register and felt the Husker Fever wash over me. Naysayers can't say ANYTHING about it until they've been here. After living in NY for a while I appreciated the genuine enthusiasm and feel good vibe that surrounds it even more.

And boy do these fans like their Husker Gear! Totals cleared $100 more often than not and more impressively it was being paid for in cash not credit.

One college guy dryly said to me - Don't ya just hate it when you put on a fly shirt on game day and you walk out the door and everyone is wearing the same one you are?

Yes, it most assuredly happens but I am truly amazed by how many design options there are when it comes to sporting your Husker Pride.

Time seemed to go in a blink as there was a constant stream of customers and I just worked til noon. The mass of people walking to the stadium stops traffic cold downtown - The Sea of Red. I was glad I was around to experience it again.

However...I didn't watch the game. Instead I met some friends I hadn't seen for about 4 years at Famous Dave's. It was so great to see them! We've kept in touch via email but it's so easy to lose track when you don't get see a person somewhat regularly. Extended our visit by getting ice cream @ Cold Stone and doing a bit o shopping at SouthPointe and then it was time to part ways. Them to North Platte and me to Omaha.

My friend who is now a card carrying L.A. actor was back in the area because her mom celebrated her 50th birthday on the 31st. She and her husband came back to surprise her mom and her dad had arranged for them to go up in a hot air balloon! How cool!

We met up @ PF Changs and had dessert at The Cheescake Factory across the way. Then I followed her back to her folks in Gretna. So much to catch up on! Her latest project is Spring Awakening - The Play, where she plays Wendla. The more we talked about it, the more it made me want to come see the show. Needless to say, I'm working on finding a weekend to fly out there - the show opens Sept. 21st. She desperately wants to find a way to come see the musical in NY before most of the original cast members leave, too. Her show ends in late October and I have no idea how much longer the original cast will be there...hopefully it will all work out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ruby is still panting.