Saturday, August 9, 2008

West sees East & Awards Night

"Jump" has made it to the top 4 one-acts of the Strawberry One-Act Festival and we will be performing at the Awards night tonight as well as finding out if we are indeed an award winning one-act or not...

This coincides w/ a visit from a friend of mine & her hubby that live in Cali! They also have friends that live in Philly so the whole group came down today to visit and got to see "Jump" sans costumes/props in tech.

After tech, I introduced them to what glorious eats can be found near Union Square. We started w/ lunch @ S'mac and then dessert @ Max Brenner's (They kept telling us our wait was because they were cleaning the table but when we got up there it still wasn't cleaned...hmmm...).

Afterward, we wandered Forbidden Planet where I spotted a "Shatner/Hasslehoff '08" shirt and my heart was given a start when I got a call from my dad that my grandpa had been taken to the hospital. The wrong combo of meds messed up his vitals so he was under observation. I can't wait to go back in September and see him - the docs just don't impress me w/ how they've been handling his health.

Then we took a look @ the cheap book racks outside of The Strand. My friend & I thought we were standing out of the way to chat when all of a sudden a guy stuck his head out the door and asked if we were selling books. We told him "no" and he told us we were standing in the book selling line. Oops - sure enough. Of all the places, that's where we found to stand! lol.

All too soon it was time for us to part ways but I will see them again in October on their coast so the next visit won't be too far away... ;)

Back to the Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theatre @ Symphony Space to get ready for the awards show performance. We were the first group to perform so after we were done we got in our "dressy" clothes and then sat out in the cafe and got ourselves a drink. We joined the awards in time to see the last performance (and as luck would have it, the award winning one-act) and the director & best one-act award given out and that was that. They handed out gift bags to all who attended. The items inside were a bottle of Strawberry Bicardi Silver, 1 piece of strawberry candy and a tea candle w/ a holder that had tropical fish on it.

The subway ride home proved to be interesting as when I transferred to the "N" @ 42nd, I had the misfortune of being in the same subway car as 3 rowdy girl teens (?). They seemed drunk as before they even got on, one of them tried to put their foot up on the doorway ledge as the subway kept moving. Initially I thought I was in the clear as I thought they had gotten in another car but then they moved to the one I was on in hopes of finding a place to sit. Of course their behavior caused people to move as one went on about seeing people's "undy arms", another started throwing her M&Ms (from the M&M store, which in my opinion are just a little too expensive to be wasting by throwing them @ people...) and when a guy confronted her about it, she wasn't phased - it just amplified her mouthy-ness. Another guy on the subway had been watching them but not saying anything and one of the girls asked how old he was (he was probably a little younger than me) he said - How old do you think I am? The girl said - I don't know but you look like a child molester because you keep looking @ my friend & she's 13. (I don't really buy that age but who knows..) He said - Well, that's not very nice. Everyone breathed a collective sigh of relief when they got off @ 39th Ave in Queens. Sheesh.

No comments: