Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ugly Talent

I went to another workshop via Network Studio East tonight. This time it was to meet Michael Rodriguez of Ugly Talent.

He has worked in the industry for several years but has only been in charge of Ugly Talent for a little over year in which he's seen huge growth. He talked about how he likes to get to know his actors well and his philosophy really appealed to me. One tip he gave that seems obvious but wasn't something that I had thought of was that we should be doing just as much research on agents/casting directors as he does on us. (In other words, when going to these workshops we should know more than just his name and a little about the company he works for... Much like knowing the whole play you take your monologue from rather than just the monologue.)

Michael said that he did take on non-equity actors but always w/ the idea of making them equity as soon as possible. He also said when he negotiated contracts that he negotiated them as if HE was the one getting the gig, in other words he strives to get the best for his clients.

After the Q&A, each of us got to have a one on one w/ him and perform a monologue. I was one of the last ones to go in so the whole time I was debating on which monologue to do... I still hadn't made up my mind until I was in the room and it was time. I decided to go w/ comedic. I wasn't wholly satisfied w/ how I'd performed but Michael seemed impressed. He asked me what I was working on and I told him I was directing and I gave him the details. He asked if I was working w/ anyone or had worked w/ anyone. I told him "no". He told me to send him details asap about the show I was directing, because even though I wasn't in it, it would be another way for him to get to know me.

I was totally thrilled when I left! What a potential opportunity not only for me but for my actors. The next day I sent off a note to him (he prefers snail mail). Now I wait and see if I hear back. I hope so. A breakthru in that direction would be wonderful! :)

No comments: