Sunday, November 4, 2007

Proof

A friend had a spare ticket to see the Astoria Performing Arts presentation of "Proof" and asked if I wanted to go.

I had submitted to audition for the show and never got called in so was interested in seeing who was chosen and admittedly expecting to be blown away. I had seen Baby D's production of "Proof" a few years ago so I was also curious to compare/contrast the two.

My friend told me on the way there that the stage is actually in the corner of a gym. The space is curtained off so you don't immediately catch on to this fact but the thought did spark memories of high school productions that were performed in a gym. ;)

A quick glance at the program showed that all of the actors (except 1) had gone to the same college as the director - it pays to know people. The play began and I was disappointingly underwhelmed. My friend wrote a review for the show which I think perfectly captures the show.

When the show was over, it made me all the more frustrated that just because a production is in New York means it is automatically "better" on a resume than one in say...Omaha no matter what the actual quality is. Sigh. That being said, I know there is good, bad and ugly in every city when it comes to theatre productions but after seeing "Proof" here, it just impresses me all the more about the shows that were produced in Omaha as a whole. If only there was a way to teleport some of the nose-turner-uppers here to those shows and "wow" them.

1 comment:

Amy Krivohlavek said...

I totally agree! Living here and seeing so much mediocre stagecraft has definitely demystified the allure of "New York theater." But I guess it just goes to show that there are both good and not-so-good productions wherever you are, whether it's NYC or Omaha.

And thanks for coming along to see the show. Fingers crossed that the next one will be better ... :)