Friday, November 23, 2007

A MUST See!

After sitting at the Irish Rogue, watching the end of Callahan's career unfold during the Colorado game and watching even ABC give up on the Huskers by cutting away with two minutes left to show the Texas v Texas A&M game, I decided it was time for a movie.

There are a handful I've been wanting to see but the timing left me with 1 option - No Country for Old Men.

I have not read the book this movie is based on so not sure how true the movie is to it but the movie by itself is amazing. Now, I don't want to give it too much hype by saying that, but it is truly worth watching.

Josh Brolin - After surviving a post-teendom slump, he is definitely on the rise again with this performance that actually shows hints of his days as Hickok on The Young Riders (and yes, I totally had a crush on him then...so it was nice to see that smirky smile appear again - insert giddy girl laugh). The character is also a nice contrast to the one he played in Planet Terror.

Javier Bardem - I've heard a lot about him, but hadn't actually seen him in a movie yet. The dialogue he has is fantastic and he presents it perfectly.

Tommy Lee Jones - Well, he's Tommy Lee. That's just the way it is. But he is still good, cause he's Tommy Lee. ;)

The only hiccup I had concerning the movie was the casting of the mother in law. The actress just didn't seem to fit - and quite frankly whenever I see her I always think of her reaching out from the bus on Speed and getting blown up. She'll forever be a whiner who dies to me.

The wife however is great. Understated, but just right. Her last scene is once again filled with great dialogue. Not sure how Oscar will look upon this movie but it deserves at least a nomination for best adapted screenplay.

There is a lot of blood in this movie but at the same time they don't show as much as they could have. Many times the Coen Brothers choose to cut away and leave it to the imagination - a decision that makes the movie even better. Haunting? Creepy? Not sure those are the words I'm looking for, but the movie certainly stays with you after you see it.

I'm definitely buying it when it comes out on DVD - which is saying a lot since I'm trying to be more conservative with such purchases. And speaking of...for those that have yet to watch The Waitress, it is now on video. So go rent it!

No comments: