Sunday, October 14, 2007

Plays and Panaroma

Headed out to another part of Queens today to watch some one-acts that a friend directed in "Queens Scenes II".

Prior to the show we stopped by the Queens Museum to take a look at the ginormous miniature version of New York that was originally built for the 1964 Worlds Fair.

I had heard about it but had no idea how big it was. There is one part that expands under the glass walkway and apparently some parts of the miniature have movement as there is a demonstration given from time to time (unfortunately, not while we were there.) Pics include the span of the mini NYC and surrounding areas, Manhattan skyline, Queens w/ Unisphere/Mets Stadium and Central Park.

The one acts in Queens Scenes II were a mixed bag but helpful to the writers as they had a talkback after the show giving the audience an opportunity to ask questions, suggestions and praise.

After the show I headed off for a couple auditions. The first was for a play. A guy rode up with me in the elevator and I asked him if he was auditioning, too. He said he didn't know. Hmm... He added that he was new to town without representation and he just goes from theatre to theatre to try and get in on auditions. Ah.... He got in line ahead of me and the lady checking in auditioners asked his name (of course it wasn't on there), he played dumb as if it should be and sure enough she made a spot for him. After we sat down with our sides, he waited a couple minutes before sitting by me and asking me what the play was about. Niiiice.

When I was called in a cold that had been brewing decided to start spilling out my nose while I read. Lovely. We (another actress was called in with me) read thru the scene a few times switching characters once, then we were sent on our way.

The next audition was for a series of one-acts written by women and were to be directed by women. After waiting for a bit I finally got in, performed my one minute comedic monologue (I didn't realize they were timing it until I bowed my head, looked up and a gal said - "Time." - At least I didn't go over!) and that was that.

Time for bed and cold meds.

No comments: