Sunday, October 21, 2007

Cast Away!

Got an email from the director of a play I auditioned for. She said she liked what I did with the character but decided to go a different direction. However, she added that she wanted me to let her know when I'm doing a show so she can come watch - and I'm assuming, see how much talent I truly have. ;)

Also got called in for an audition via a theatre I introduced myself to @ Actorfest. They were in the midst of writing a "new" version of Christmas Carol with puppets, modern day setting and Ebeneezer being female. Since they were still writing it, they were looking at customizing the script depending on who got cast. Rather exciting! So I went in, auditioned (saw the guy that was crashing auditions again) and before I left they asked me to sing a Christmas carol. You'd think that'd be easy, right? Not for me! I totally drew a blank on Christmas songs I know the lyrics to and ones that I wouldn't have to strain my vocals with. I was totally stuck on "Frosty the Snowman" for some reason and then they finally suggested "Deck the Halls". Duh. Of course! So I sang it - rather safely - and left totally second guessing how I should have done the singing. But...oh well....

Then today, I went to a callback for the one-act show I auditioned for last week. One of the directors that wanted to see me wasn't there so others were supposed to watch me and give their opinions to the missing director. A side that was given to me to prep with was changed out as I was walking into my audition for another one. Same play - but still...

So the character I'm reading for is somewhat based on Meryl Streep's character in Devil Wears Prada except in the sides I read, the models are treated like dogs - literally. They have collars and in the scene that I was originally supposed to read I am supposed to scold a model and scrape chocolate cake out of her mouth. Uh....

So I went in and read with great bravado. Then I was told to read as if I had a VERY bad day and my assistant was an idiot. THEN I was supposed to pick a cartoon character and read it like the character. Er.... Any cartoon character?! I was told yes. Once again my mind kind went blank on a character that would be easy to do and then I thought of Eeyore. Yep...I played a Devil Wears Prada-like character as Eeyore. At the end I couldn't tell if the director was smiling cause she thought it was good or smiling because she thought I was an idiot! Once again...oh well...

In the meantime, I'm rehearsing for a Halloween One-Act show in which I'm going to be a foley artist for a staged radio play of a Edgar Allen Poe story. Been trying to come up with ideas of where to insert sound and what to gather to make the sound with. And the same theatre cast me in an interactive murder mystery show in which I will be playing Betty Jo the Funeral Parlor Director, who thinks it is a great idea to serve beer and wings to the grieving at a funeral. Should be fun! ;)

No comments: