Monday, April 20, 2009

Night @ the NYMF - Best of Fest




Word that I'm trying to get an online bakery established is spreading and a friend of a friend contacted me to see if I would be so kind as to provide treats for a fundraiser for the New York Musical Festival (Best of Fest) in exchange for some advertising. Sure! Why not? (My logo can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of this flyer.)

I committed to offering 4 flavors of mini cupcakes (Angel Food Cupcakes w/ Cotton Candy Buttercream Frosting, Orange Zest Cupcakes w/ White Chocolate Frosting and Orange Slice Stars, Chocolate Cupcakes w/ chunks of Andes Candies and a Dark Chocolate Mint Frosting w/ Junior Mint on top and Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cupcake w/ Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting), 98 total. I was totally excited about coming up w/ the flavor combos and creating/baking but I always forget how much time can fly during this process and I didn't get to bed until about 2am - morning of the show. Eesh.

Then there was packing them for transport. Since I've yet to settle on the best way to transport my goods I've been alternating in my forms of transport. This time it was buying white pastry boxes from The Container Store and dividing the rows w/ wax paper. Sadly, although all the minis were tasty some were gooey-er than others (I'm talking to you, dark mint chocolate). I was a bit worried about their appearance for such an important event. That worry was compounded by the fact that I needed to tote them to work then on to the show...in a downpour. Wheeee!

A friend and I managed to get them to the New World Stages w/ hopefully minimal roughing up of the minis. Then we headed to Blockheads (heard about it many times but it was my first time actually going!) for a meal before going to the "Best of Fest" ourselves. (An added bonus to donating my minis to the event, I was able to get a ticket plus 1 to the show - to our surprise our tickets landed us in front row center!)

The show was made up of songs from past NYMF shows and made me highly curious to know more about many of the shows that we only got snippets of. As soon as the show was over, it was time for the reception where my minis would be served. I was pleasantly surprised by how they had been displayed and how great they looked!!! I did that! :)

They seemed to be a hit and while my friend and I sampled other goodies there we had an awkward encounter w/ a 40+ year old that preferred to have a convo w/ our chests rather than us. Ewww. It was clear he was trying to network w/ bigwigs and impress us w/ connections that he *might* have. He repeated several times that he was disappointed that some of the "names" that had performed at the fest didn't stick around. We made it clear we really didn't know anybody, politely said "no" when he offered to get us more drinks and finally dodged him by taking a trip to the Ladies Room. Sheesh.

Although I brought business cards, I'm not sure how many peeps will be in touch. Perhaps a little bit of buzz will start to build...if anything I'm just glad all that work was enjoyed by others!

No comments: