Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In The Metro & on YouTube

Last night, the cast, director and writer of "Jump" went to the Strawberry One Act Kick Off Party. It was an event meant for networking & mingling but we noticed that most groups kept to themselves and so it actually ended up being an night for our own group to get to know each other better as we noshed and drank the wine & snacks they had set out.

In the same room as the festivities they were filming people talking about their plays. Which is a cool idea except, they didn't have a mic for people to hold. The only audio was being picked up by the camera mic and we were actually told to yell so the camera could hear us. Uh...

You can see our interview here.

We had gotten a detailed email telling us what info we were supposed to include in our interview and I typed out some of that info on a sheet of paper so we could reference it. The idea being that the camera could focus in on it but much like the mic sitch they weren't putting themselves out by zooming either. Oh well.

This morning I was flipping thru The Metro and found myself! I had submitted a book review for The Metro Summer Reading Club and was told they'd notify me if I was going to be published. I never was notified so it was quite a surprise to see myself in there! Woot! :)

Then over lunch, a co-worker and I walked to 6th Ave to see what we could of the All-Star Parade. It seemed like everytime I went to take a pic, someone's head got in the way but I did manage to get a couple shots of Hank Aaron. My co-worker had to go back to work and as I walked along the route a guy behind me started shouting at whoever would listen to him- "What's the big deal? These guys make millions a year and you're cheering for them?!" He had a point as by this time it was the current All-Stars passing and not the Legends. Long gone are the days of the ball player working a 2nd job just so he could afford to play the sport he loved.

Down 42nd towards 5th I found another All Star Liberty to take a pic of and then headed over to Garrett's Popcorn to find out what a popcornsicle was. (Further incentive was the fact that it was free...) As I stood in line, 3 guys lined up behind me going on and on about how weird the concept sounded and how they'd probably get cancer but yet they kept waiting in line...

It was finally my turn to get a popcornsicle and Top Chef's Richard Blais saw my face and said - You looked intrigued.

I said - I am.

Then he told me that the popcorn (Cheese/Caramel Popcorn molded on a stick) is dipped in nitrous oxide. It's edible and safe and that's what makes it a popcornsicle.

I referenced the "edible & safe" as being a concern and gestured towards the complainy guys behind me. ;) It was certainly tasty and worth the wait! :)

No comments: