Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cupcake Kebab Craze!


So, I went to my first "Cupcakes Take the Cake" gathering on Saturday and braved the rainy weather in Central Park to present my Neapolitan Cupcake Kebabs (Kabobs). My goal was simply to come up w/ something new, fun and tasty - I had no idea how well they were going to go over (or if they'd go over @ all)! It's nuts!

Rachel from "Cupcakes Take the Cake" posted a vid on Monday of me talking about my Kebabs and it has over 800 views already! A google search for "Cupcake Kebabs" shows pics of my Kebabs showing up everywhere as well as the video. (It was even blogged about on BettyCrocker.com!) There are definite fans and definite foes - It is all very interesting to observe.... A word search on Twitter found many mentions and LuLus Cupcakes in AZ tweet - "Cupcake Kebabs - deep fried or no?"

Now I have this wonderful idea that everyone is talking about and...I'm lacking the right paperwork to sell it via my "in the works" online bakery. Nertz. It's exciting that so many people like the idea but a bit frustrating that I can't act on it immediately! (Perhaps I'll just be the Cupcake Kebab version of "The ORIGINAL Ray's Pizza", Har.) I saw that someone blogged about it and said they are trying to convince Crumbs to do it! That would be so crazy to see an idea arrive on the market and know I was the one that started it... My brother joked that if he sees it in Hy-Vee he'll know where it came from! ;)

And already I've found a few pics of people making their own versions! One is from Paris! Amazing! It's kind of like a play - you can have the same script but a different result occurs depending on direction, actors, space, etc.

In the meantime, I've got a head full of other flavor combos for kebabs and can't wait to try them! I've also started a flikr album w/ pics of treats I've made and of course there's the Facebook Group for Nibbles by Nora that people can join and be informed of the progress I'm making towards an actual online bakery!

No matter where this idea may or may not take me, one thing is for sure - I've now learned the power of the internet first hand!

No comments: