Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween!


There was no costume for me this year (our office really doesn't do that sort of thing) but I did wear my candy corn earrings and Boo! T-shirt.

When I got off the subway I saw a sign posted that Pink was performing on The Early Show and saw the set up when I went past, however she wasn't out there yet. I did see the Weatherman surrounded by various costumed people as he reported as well as fancy jack-o-lanterns carved out w/ the hosts' likenesses. And then I noticed the breakfast truck and although I normally scoot past (as the free breakfast is intended for The Early Show audience) I decided to stop today and got a free coffee and Krispy Kreme donut shaped like a pumpkin and frosted like a Jack O Lantern. :)
I still had time before I had to get to work so I walked over to the Today show (cutting thru Rockefeller center where I saw their harvest display) and could hear them (playing a fairytale variation of Family Feud) but could only see the tops of their costumes - someone was dressed as Humpty Dumpty. I tried to venture in closer to get a pic but was going to be stopped so they could check my bag. Eh. I decided that was too much hassle just to get a pic so I moved on. They didn't have free breakfast, either! ;)

Post work, I headed to the Sunshine Theater to see "My Name Is Bruce" w/Bruce Campbell himself introducing the movie and coming back for a Q&A after.

There were 3 guys dressed up as Ash in the audience and Bruce had the best one come down to chat w/ him. Bruce said he wanted to give the guy some money and asked how much was spent on the costume. The guy guessed about $100. Bruce said - Here's $5.

Then Bruce got a shirt from a fan that said - Bruce Campbell '08 w/ a Chainsaw on it. She then asked if she could touch his scar. He let her, but not w/out comment and then he gave her $2 for the t-shirt.

Bruce then pointed out that Sarah Berry from Evil Dead II was in the audience and said that she had to stand up and scream otherwise no one would recognize her (for some reason that pic is darker so when I tried to lighten on my computer it went to b&w!) The lights went down and Berry and her partner (not sure if he was a friend, bf, hubby or what) headed up the stairs to find a less close seat and ended up sitting right beside me!

The movie is very much "for the fans" as Bruce stated before it started. Many of the jokes would probably go over the head of those that have never seen a Bruce Campbell movie before...although, if they haven't...I'm not sure why they'd be watching this movie!

After the movie, Bruce came out again and someone asked him about the actors - to be honest, some weren't that good - but Bruce noticed the undertone of the person asking the question and tried to defend by saying he got them from the Oregon area Shakespeare Festival and that @ the very least the lead female had a little something goin' on, right?!

Most of "Bruce" was filmed on Campbell's property - which he repeatedly said he wouldn't divulge where in Oregon that was.

A fan also asked if the jeans he was wearing were the same in the movie...yes, in fact they were!

He said that Ted Raimi is the Clint Howard of his movies. (Ted appears as several characters w/ several accents in "Bruce".)

He also corrected a fan when they said he made a "cameo" in Spiderman saying that in the first one he named Spiderman, the 2nd one he was the only one to defeat Spiderman (snooty usher) and the 3rd one he was the only one Spiderman has ever asked for help. So this was much more than just cameo appearances.

Had I wanted to, I probably could have asked to go backstage to see Bruce after as the friend of Berry was fairly friendly and I also went out the stairwell Bruce was on so I could have just gone down there but thought I'd leave well enough alone. I've met him once and I really don't know what I would have said to him anyway! ;)

So from 2nd & 2nd I headed down 2nd to meet my friend @ a restaurant she works at in the 30s and all along the way I checked out the various Halloween costumes and wished I had on those camera glasses to record it all. The most creative are indeed the ones that aren't bought @ a store.

After meeting up w/ my friend we headed home and saw even more costumes (including contestants for "Price Is Right" complete w/ their bidding stands) and my friend had a guy come up from behind her and put a small carved pumpkin in her face and say "Boo!" and then kept running to the next group to do the same thing. The guy's friend was behind us and I asked if he did that to everyone and instead of answering the guy just started running to catch up w/ his friend. Weird.

No comments: